Avast suddenly wants to restart my computer a lot.

Bugal Jackson

Commendable
Jul 9, 2016
So I was just browsing, then it suddenly said it wanted to restart my computer so I said why not and did. Then my computer had a boot error like 3 times and did a system restore. When it finally got back to working, my LAN connection had the yellow ! triangle on it for about 10 minutes then now it's working. Then avast asked to restart again. Any idea?

Using windows 8.1 and avast looks like version 12.5.2303

Solution
It could be that either internet connection, corrupted hard drive partition or resource load causing the issues with the installation. Honestly, with my old (REALLY OLD) rig, I had the same issues, where installs couldn't complete due to PC specs and unstable internet connection. Keep us posted if you find a fix or need more help!

JoshRoss

Estimable
Jul 11, 2017
Could be a broken installation or an update of Avast. Full removal and reinstall could help you solve the issue. Afterward, make sure you do a full scan with Avast and Malwarebytes, to ensure that there is no malware that could potentially disable antivirus software. Additionally, make sure your Windows is up to date.

Avast-Team

Estimable
Mar 3, 2017

Agreed with all of this -- sounds like something happened with the install, or an update didn't complete properly.

You can try an Online Repair first before completely removing -- Control Panel -> Programs -> Highlight Avast and click Change -> Select Online Repair.

If that does not help, then a full reinstall should do the trick!

JoshRoss

Estimable
Jul 11, 2017
It could be that either internet connection, corrupted hard drive partition or resource load causing the issues with the installation. Honestly, with my old (REALLY OLD) rig, I had the same issues, where installs couldn't complete due to PC specs and unstable internet connection. Keep us posted if you find a fix or need more help!

Solution