Avatar Becomes Most Succesful Film Ever Made

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Take the dollar sign away and tell us which movie sold the most tickets. There's your #1 movie of all time.

lilwillis

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2009
stupid question to ask until Avatar is out of theaters. You can't figure out what has won until you can actually count all the votes/tickets.

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
Titanic was out in theaters for more or less a year(in Puerto Rico at least). Avatar has been out in theaters for about 2 months.We just have to think for how much longer Avatar will be the king of the box office.

Xenophage

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2009
#1 movie of all time in both ticket sales and inflation adjusted revenue is Gone With The Wind. #2 is Star Wars. Avatar doesn't even crack the top 10.

phoenix777

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2009
[citation][nom]noonethere45[/nom]Take the dollar sign away and tell us which movie sold the most tickets. There's your #1 movie of all time.[/citation]

yeah it's the number of tickets sold that count.

gto127

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2008
You can't really compare gross amounts on movies sales of a different time. You have to go by the number of tickets sold. That's the only fair comparison. Locally ticket prices are 50% more than they were 12 years ago.

G

Let's not forget how much IMAX and 3D tickets cost with out that i dont think Avatar will be so high.

buddhav1

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2009
[citation][nom]TwoDigital[/nom]"Gone With the Wind" (as mentioned by Xenophage) is still #1 in number of tickets sold... tickets=success.[/citation]

exactly. ticket prices may have quadrupled, but tickets sold is a lot better ranking to me than unbalanced amounts of money brought in. if a movie sells 5 million tickets at 5 bucks a piece, then they made 25 Million off of ticket sales.

but with movie ticket prices going through the freaking roof, (here, an adult non-matinee ticket will cost you 14 dollars) there's no point in calling any movie "the most successful".

take that example.

5 million tickets at 5 dollars apiece=25 million
2 million tickets at 14 dollars apiece=28 million

am i the only one who thinks that's a little messed up?

G

It's a silly question. Number of seats has this problem....if you charge less, you'll naturally sell more tickets. Inflation adjusted doesn't take into account disposable income percentages, re-releases, (in some cases) the advent of television, home movie theaters, and other, new, forms of entertainment. I used to teach statistical analysis at the University of California and (bottom line) it's really difficult to compare apples and oranges. Just enjoy the movie (or not) and quit trying to rank everything. One movie made more than a movie 10, 20, or 30 years ago. Who cares? Why the fascination and (usually inane) debate?

xizel

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2008
[citation][nom]homrqt[/nom]Another article that belongs on a different website.[/citation]
and also you gotta put in cause that the population has raised.
so to calculate the geatest movie you must calculate the % of population that saw it. lol

figgus

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2010
"am i the only one who thinks that's a little messed up? "

It's all part of the hype machine. Doing it this way makes sure new movies can always be hyped as #1.

genghiskhanid

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2007
I'd like to see the source for "gone with the wind", I doubt that they would've sold more tickets at a time when the US population was at least 50% of what it is today.

hakesterman

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2008
Theater ticket prices haven't inflated much since 1997. I paid around 7 dollars for a movie back then and i paying 8.50 now so it isn't that much different. However The Cost of makeing a movie has gone up three times more since 1997. Avitar is a better movie than Titanic, when it's all said and done, Avitar will
be the true Winner.

greeve

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2010
You can come up with any criteria to determine this. Generally however, the movie enthusiasts who follow these kind of things do not take inflation into account. If inflation was taken into account then the number one domestic gross of all times is as someone else pointed out Gone With The Wind. Titanic isnt even in the top 5. According to boxofficemojo.com anyhow. http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/adjusted.htm

The other interesting thing here is that the true metric, ticket sales, never seems to be used in this kind of discussion. At the end of the day tho, bruce nash is an idiot for using inflation as an argument when Titanic isnt even number one in that category.

Status
Not open for further replies.