AVG Firewall borked in Windows 10

giantgeekuk

Estimable
Nov 14, 2014
So Windows installed another update last night and this morning my firewall in AVG Internet Security will not start up. All other components are fully green and running.
It says that the enhanced firewall is not running, and to click "Reset to Default" because the firewall cannot start due to a corrupted configuration.

I do this, and reboot and the same message occurs. I have repaired the install, used the AVG removal tool and done a complete uninstall of AVG and a full re-install and the same thing is happening each time.

Currently I'm using the Windows Firewall which isn't bad, but I prefer something beefier for my protection.

Any suggestions would be very helpful.

EDIT: I also just found out that both Cortana and Windows Feedback are not working either after yesterday's update...Seriously thinking about reverting to 8.1!

R4lNM4N

Estimable
Jul 30, 2014
Step 1) Uninstall AVG. This antivirus software over the past 2 years is one of the worst around. Some of the most heavily infected PC's I've cleaned up over the past 19 months had AVG installed. Neither the free or pay for versions are very handy. In fact, the pay-for version will hog more resources than the free one - get rid of it all!

Step2) Install a real antivirus/internet security. If you absolutely must use a free one, I recommend Avast! What I would really recommend is either Norton or Kaspersky Internet Security. Don't go for the big "Norton Security W/Backup" or "Kaspersky Total Security" as they will hog your recources, constantly trying to back up your system.

If there is a glitch with a new Windows update - it's to be expected and will likely be patched next week so, I dont think you want to go rushing back to an older version just yet. Hope that helps. Of course no Antivirus/firewall is foolproof anyway and you need to train yourself and your users on safe browsing and downloading practices.

-Rainman

giantgeekuk

Estimable
Nov 14, 2014

In my experience, AVG has always been reliable. True, the anti-malware protection is not significantly better than in Chrome or Opera, but I also use Malwarebytes Premium. Given that I have two paid-for products, I'm hardly going to throw either away before that subscription is up. Expressing an unwanted opinion on AV software isn't solving the problem I currently have, and invariably a wait and see approach with software rarely corrects anything.

While there may well be a patch from Microsoft in the coming days, there is nothing to guarantee that the recent updates for Windows 10 actually are the cause, (although they are the number 1 suspect at the moment) as I have friends who are using Windows 10 and the premium AVG suite and are not having the same issues.

ffg7

Splendid
I have avg free installed on my computers & customers with no problems. all laptops are different so what works on 1 doesn't always mean it will work on others. try a system restore to before that update to see if that resolves the avg firewall issue.

R4lNM4N

Estimable
Jul 30, 2014

Well, sorry for the unwanted opinion, I missed the part where you're running two AV programs at once. But yea you should totally keep using both at the same time since they never interfere with eachother