AVG or Avast?

hattydocious

Estimable
Feb 13, 2014
Okay, so I'm going to try to buy a full version antivirus, and I don't know which to choose.
I originally went with AVG because they had a free version, but I never knew Avast had a free version.. At least, they didn't the time I was using it...

Just wondering, which should I buy?

Solution
I personally use Webroot SecureAnywhere, as it's the most minimal, non-intrust AV program I've come across to date, and works just fine.

Of the two programs you've listed, though, I've had better experiences with Avast; if you ask me, AVG packs in a lot of unnecessary stuff that really just eats up extra resources, like their 'social networking protection'. Avast doesn't seem to offend quite so badly in this area, and it's really pretty easy to navigate... for example, if you want to disable security to install a program that might conflict, just right click on the Avast icon in the system tray and select 'lower shields' for whatever time period you want. Now, I don't have any experience with the non-free AVG, but both programs have...

KiloWolf

Honorable
Dec 31, 2013

Nonono, I was trying to start a topic and posted it in your post XD sorry about that.

KiloWolf

Honorable
Dec 31, 2013
I like AVG better myself and will never trust Avast agin. but that said lately AVG has been having allot of problems like it not letting geforce experience open without dissabling avg.

someguynamedmatt

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2010
I personally use Webroot SecureAnywhere, as it's the most minimal, non-intrust AV program I've come across to date, and works just fine.

Of the two programs you've listed, though, I've had better experiences with Avast; if you ask me, AVG packs in a lot of unnecessary stuff that really just eats up extra resources, like their 'social networking protection'. Avast doesn't seem to offend quite so badly in this area, and it's really pretty easy to navigate... for example, if you want to disable security to install a program that might conflict, just right click on the Avast icon in the system tray and select 'lower shields' for whatever time period you want. Now, I don't have any experience with the non-free AVG, but both programs have VERY similar detection rates, and I just find Avast's interface a bit nicer to work with.

That's just my opinion; take it for what it's worth. :)

Solution

hattydocious

Estimable
Feb 13, 2014
Thanks for all your answers :).
I noticed Avast is way cheaper, but AVG just went into the Internet Security trial, so I'm gonna wait for it to expire.
Also, does anyone know how to turn off the sounds on Avast? They startle me :p.