AVG stopped security threat

spyguy

Prominent
Dec 3, 2017
I have the free version of AVG. When browsing the internet I encountered an avg popup saying that something like blank.survey was stopped by avg because it was infected with malware. I alt+f4 just to be safe to close the popup. I did two deep scans after that with no threats found. My question is this. If avg stops attempted malware infection and the scans show no threats is there any need to reinstall operating system just to be safe? If avg detected a threat and stopped it then even if it had infected my pc the deep scan would be able to detect it as well?

Solution
spyguy -- AVG kept you safe, as SR-71 said :) AVG and Avast are designed to stop threats before they can do damage to your system, in a variety of ways.

In this case, it sounds like Web Shield blocked the threat. There are other shields acting to protect you though, including tech that helps identify and stop even unknown or never before seen malware (check out CyberCapture and Behavior Shield!)

There should be no need to reinstall your OS or anything like that if the threat was blocked. However, I would run a full scan just to be safe. I would also check your AVG settings to get an idea of how you have things set to act when a threat is detected. This is configured under "Actions" in the application.

For example, you can have AVG...

spyguy

Prominent
Dec 3, 2017

So there shouldn't be any malicious files lurking about that don't get stopped by the av? I don't know how exactly the av works.

Avast-Team

Estimable
Mar 3, 2017
spyguy -- AVG kept you safe, as SR-71 said :) AVG and Avast are designed to stop threats before they can do damage to your system, in a variety of ways.

In this case, it sounds like Web Shield blocked the threat. There are other shields acting to protect you though, including tech that helps identify and stop even unknown or never before seen malware (check out CyberCapture and Behavior Shield!)

There should be no need to reinstall your OS or anything like that if the threat was blocked. However, I would run a full scan just to be safe. I would also check your AVG settings to get an idea of how you have things set to act when a threat is detected. This is configured under "Actions" in the application.

For example, you can have AVG ask you what to do, "fix automatically," move the threat to the Virus Chest, etc.

Thanks for your support and I'm really glad we were able to keep you safe!

Solution

spyguy

Prominent
Dec 3, 2017

Thanks for the reply. Do you have a recommended setup for the settings you mentioned when a threat is detected. Anything that's considered the safest way to handle threats? And I'm glad avg kept me safe to. Its the first thing on my list when setting up a new pc.