tetsukuma

Honorable
Sep 22, 2013
So i have avira installed on my computer, and yesterday while i was playing counter strike global offensive, it said it had found over 6000+ viruses, none of my other anti-virus softwares detected anything, but i got it to delete them, then carried on with my gaming, today the same thing happend, it began making its virus detected noise but when i went to alt tab out of CS my computer crashed and now refused to start for a while, so what i want to know is:
Can i trust avira to be on my computer and if not how would i go about uninstalling it?

Solution
Hi,

probably a bogus antivirus.

boot in safe mode and run adwcleaner / roguekiller and malware bytes from bleepingcomputer.com
If you are heavily infected, run combofix

Skylyne

Estimable
Sep 7, 2014
Sounds like avira is doing the same thing that numerous "antivirus" programs do: locate any/all files that are a remote security risk (anything from cookies, to registry errors, or excessive temp files), and alerts you that you have "viruses" or "malicious files"... something to that extent. I've seen this trick pulled by the GeekBuddy customer service software, a couple of antivirus softwares (one of which I paid for years back), and various "cleaning" programs.

I'm guessing your computer didn't start for a while because things were getting too hot; likely due to your a/v program running hard in the background, maxing out your CPU and RAM usage. It's unlikely, but it's definitely a possibility, as gaming computers don't have to have the most resources on tap.

Bitdefender or malwarebytes should help take care of any real infections. Run either one in safe mode, and you should be okay. Remove your Avira install, and run something like Ccleaner to help remove bad registry keys. Cleaning out the temp files with the built-in cleaner might help a little bit too.