B&N's $249 Android-powered Ereader/Tablet

Status
Not open for further replies.

phexac

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2009
Will it have access to Android Market? If it will, and has respectable specs (comparable to the Galaxy tab and the iPad) it could be very interesting, though I would prefer for that type of device to be 10" like the iPad rather than 7".

peterkidd

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
No LCD, I want MEMs display or anything where we don't have to have a backlight. I would pay money immediately if such a product was available now.

I was so excited I thought this would be a Mirasol or Pixel Qi contender.

Khimera2000

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
No digital ink = tablet = useless for me.

I have a compact notebook for serfing, a desk top for real big power, and had a sony ebook before the washer wanted to show it much love.

digital ink has vary little eye strain compared to LCD and can be read for much longer, has an extended battary life becaus its not back lit.

The only way this would be worth its salt is if it was viewable without back lighting so i can read it in DAYLIGHT, and that it can go at least two weeks with normal use without charging.

If it does not i see it as a vary good looking step backwords.

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
I've always known the e-ink to be better for reading. Color LCD is not. So I'm sure it will make a fantastic tablet, but not an e-reader.

Pyroflea

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2007
If the specs are decent, and it has all the abilities of Android (including rooting and the marketplace) I would DEFINITELY be interested in something like this.

G

1) LCD not eInk = headache, eyestrain, and difficulty reading in sunlight. Bye bye beach reading
2) Much heavier device = less pleasant long-term reading experience
3) Color LCD = much shorter battery life. Can't go on a 15 hour flight and hope the thing lasts the whole time.

"The Nook Color also packs WiFi, which allows for web browsing, email, and searching...When you get tired of reading you can access social networking sites, like Twitter and Facebook, and listen to music and play games."

I can do these things on my smartphone, which I'm carrying around with me at all times anyway, and doesn't need to be in a wifi network to allow me to do so. 7" is bigger than 3-4", sure, but I'm not going to leave my phone behind so these features seemed lessened in comparison to the deficiencies as an eReader.

So am I interested? No. Not as an eReader. As a cheap tablet? Seems to be lacking in apps, and seems to be a whole new platform for app developers unless I'm reading between the lines wrong and it does have access to Android marketplace.

G

Resistive or Capacitive surface?
Early low cost Android (Augen for instance) have very low-response resistive touch-action. You have to tap really hard to manipulate them.
Capacitive (a-la iPad and iPhone) allow multi point touch (for zooming etc.) and are sensitive and easy to manipulate.

alchemy69

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2008
The University of Cincinnati recently developed a prototype electrofluidic display that has the low power consumption and high daylight readability of e-paper but in colour with a fast enough refresh to display video. If I was Jess Bezos I'd be on the first plane to Ohio.

LORD_ORION

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2007
B&N... probably not. Technology is solid and I would pick it over an iPad, but I'd get something like this from Amazon before B&N.

Maybe this means Amazon will get with the program and the next Kindle will follow the same route.

ikefu

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2009
I am intrigued. The only reason I was even thinking about an iPad was for the ereader and this is a 1/3 the price of the iPad I would have gotten. I want to see it in store first before I make a decision though.

At least it will have flash once its gets Android 2.2 next year. If it can stream hulu when that happens I'm 100% sold.

Status
Not open for further replies.