Review B Outdoor camera review

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jay_Z

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2008
Thanks for the review! I have been trying to decide on some outdoor security cameras. Tried the Blink XT (for the price, I had to try!). It's ok, so far.

1. Were these sample videos from the Blink Outdoor Camera in High or Standard quality? These are good for night shots - I'd be ok with those.
  2. How does this compare to the Arlo 2 Pro - your outdoor security camera top pick? (Aside from price!) Arlo 2 Pro still a clear winner?

I have a lot of area to cover - wireless is best, if Blink is good for the money, I'd do that. Otherwise, I'll do an upgrade to another system like the Arlo 2 with 4-6 cameras.

So many cameras in this area and just not a clear winner yet, in my mind! So, I appreciate the valuable review!

mprospero

Senior Editor
Oct 4, 2013
@Jay_Z Thanks for the comment! These were in high quality, though there's not much a drop off to standard. I've used the Blink XT2 as well, and the boost when it comes to video quality isn't huge between the two (the most significant thing is that you can have local storage and I think the wireless range is a bit better). The Arlo's quality is a bit better and has a wider field of view, and if you pay for a subscription, the Arlo app lets you set motion filters for people, animals, and vehicles, and can also detect packages. However, the Arlo's batteries will have to be recharged more often. Both are quite good, so you won't go wrong with either.

Feb 8, 2021
TRASH: My Blink systems are now junk due to the newly required two factor authentication. I have two systems with 8 cams in two countries and need spouse, family, tenants, and property manager to have access. It was bad enough to have to share username and password for access but now every time somebody needs to log in only I get the code to my phone and have to forward to them. Blink support says "we're oh so sorry". I can't even return it anymore....JUNK. Looking for a new system.

Jul 2, 2021
With my experience as of June 2021, you MUST have a cloud subscription to see your recordings with the App. You can pull the USB to see the recordings on a PC. From what I read in the 1-star Amazon reviews, apparently there was a software / policy change in April or May that effectively eliminated the usability of the Local Storage.

Conveniently for Amazon, they supply a 30 day free trial to the cloud with the purchase of a Blink Outdoor system. By the time you realize the Local Storage does not work as advertised and mentioned in reviews from 2020, your return window has closed. With a couple of long calls to Amazon customer service, I received a partial refund.

Look up the recent 1-star reviews. Look for several with “Bait and Switch” in the titles.

Status
Not open for further replies.