Back-Engineering Could Lead to Natal Failure

Status
Not open for further replies.

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
don't shoehorn the tech in there just for the novelty? when it would add nothing to the game?

wow, Nintendo, are you listening? or are you too busy swimming in your pool of money?

idisarmu

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2008
"Cameron said that studios have to create a 3D film from scratch, to "natively author" a 3D movie and not throw in the 3D effects in an eight-week post-production 3D conversion."

....and why is that, Mr. Cameron? I don't think you should be talking, considering your movie's plot sucked. I don't care how good the 3D effects were. You took Pocahontas and replaced all the natives with aliens. Congratulations, you are apparently a genius movie producer.

XD_dued

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2008
He points out that integrating motion control into existing projects--or rather back-engineering-- isn't sufficient, and could possibly lead to commercial failure of Microsoft's prized motion sensing device.

Reminds me of a lot of whats on the wii and nintendo ds. Many games didn't need the features, but just threw them in anyways, often times making the games just more difficult and annoying to play.

one-shot

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2006
[citation][nom]matt87_50[/nom]don't shoehorn the tech in there just for the novelty? when it would add nothing to the game?wow, Nintendo, are you listening? or are you too busy swimming in your pool of money?[/citation]

Nintendo can't hear when it's swimming.

matthew_nicho2

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2008
Valid comment... Or is this a cover for the fact that adding Natal will add 10-15% processor usage to a title that already runs at 100% processor usage?

Running at 115% will not end well lol

acecombat

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
[citation][nom]idisarmu[/nom]....and why is that, Mr. Cameron? I don't think you should be talking, considering your movie's plot sucked.[/citation]
$2.6bn+ seems to say otherwise!

haze4peace

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
Nintendo did a pretty good job at making games work with their tech... It's the third parties that tried to do the shoehorning of motion controls into their games.

Hatecrime69

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2008
[citation][nom]haze4peace[/nom]Nintendo did a pretty good job at making games work with their tech... It's the third parties that tried to do the shoehorning of motion controls into their games.[/citation]

pretty much, even the first year ds games had this issue, though some third-parties eventually learned how to make good games on that..

G

erm isn't mr Cameron re-releasing titanic in 3D......
OMG that could only classified as torture

alextheblue

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2001
[citation][nom]haze4peace[/nom]Nintendo did a pretty good job at making games work with their tech... It's the third parties that tried to do the shoehorning of motion controls into their games.[/citation]You mean the same third party developers the article is talking about? :/

amabhy

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2009
[citation][nom]idisarmu[/nom]"Cameron said that studios have to create a 3D film from scratch, to "natively author" a 3D movie and not throw in the 3D effects in an eight-week post-production 3D conversion." ....and why is that, Mr. Cameron? I don't think you should be talking, considering your movie's plot sucked. I don't care how good the 3D effects were. You took Pocahontas and replaced all the natives with aliens. Congratulations, you are apparently a genius movie producer.[/citation]

Looks like this d-bag is jealous he didnt think of the idea first :p

requiemsallure

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009
i can see more RROD in my minds eye (yes im psychic (yes im kidding)) but seriously dont add things to a system that is already so prone to failure... it just adds more points of failure.

Sicundercover

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2007
[citation][nom]acecombat[/nom]$2.6bn+ seems to say otherwise![/citation]

First off I actually liked Avatar but just because something makes a lot of money it doesnt mean its any good. McDonalds makes billions but that doesnt make it gourmet.

BTW, Codemasters makes horrible games and most of their games are poorly done ports.

technogiant

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2007
The thing that will kill natal is the 0.1 sec average lag....if they can't reduce that considerably it will be usless for any intense gaming

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
Whille everyone has legitimate comments, I only care about one thing.
Star Wars: Knights of The Old Republic 3.
Maybe one of those fancy smancy brain wave thingies for using the force too. =D

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
I hate the motion sensing on the Wii. I don't know if its because I'm too tall, or because I can't hit anything I'm pointing at when I'm hunting on it. There is a definite lag between when I move the controller and when the cursor on the screen moves, and I won't be blaming the tv anytime soon - although I would think that it too increases the lag time. Add in internet latency and there goes multi-player games with motion sensor support. No thanks. PC gaming FTW! Still.

djab

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2009
[citation][nom]haze4peace[/nom]Nintendo did a pretty good job at making games work with their tech... It's the third parties that tried to do the shoehorning of motion controls into their games.[/citation]

Exactly.
I think what Cheshire wanted to say is: "Don't be a bird-man!"

"Bird-men" can kill any new tech.
Here is a good article about "bird-men" in the video game "industry":

http://malstrom.50webs.com/birdman.html

Status
Not open for further replies.