back light problem on my acer es1-511

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Solution
If you have 3.3 volts on pins 1 and 5, and 0 volt on pins 2 and 4 for the U11 chip. This is the reason the backlight is OFF, you need 3.3 volts on pin 4 for the backlight to be ON. Right now the pin 2 is controlling the output for the U11. Pin 2 for the U11 is connected to the EC chip, so, what is controlling the EC to give 0 volt to pin 2 for the U11? This is why I asked to verify the voltages for the U14 chip.

Acer_Aspire_E_15_U14_p2_p3.jpg

If I follow the procedure you did to measure the voltage on the L4 coil. You connected the adapter to the motherboard, you push the power button, you don't have a picture on the screen of the laptop, you measure no voltage on the L4 coil, but you have something on an external monitor.

The L4 coil supplies the voltage to the backlight of the screen, the voltage comes from the adapter or the battery through a transistor to the whole motherboard, it is called B+. Somewhere a trace is open or you have a bad solder, this is why you have no voltage to the coil. You must follow the B + (about 19 volts) to see where you lost the voltage, it should be around the coil L4 because everything else of the motherboard gets the power.