Background Buzzing/Static Noise through USB from Powered Monitors

Lerthedc

Prominent
Apr 3, 2017
I have a custom PC connected to a Schiit Modi/Magni 2U stack which outputs to my JBL LSR305 studio monitors. When the computer is on and connected to my audio system there is a persistent high pitched buzzing + static noise. I have been able to figure out some things about the issue but haven't been able to completely solve it:

-The sound does not happen if I connect it to my laptop USB
-The sound volume scales with the Magni amp volume knob but does not scale with the Windows software volume
-The sound did not go away when the USB passed through a powered USB hub
-The sound is present regardless of USB port it is connected to
-The sound used to get significantly worse when I started up a graphics intensive game
-However, this last problem was solved when I connected an ifi iDefender ground loop breaker to the USB chain. The background noise still remains though.
-Audioquest jitterbug did nothing to mitigate the problem.
-There will often be a loud pop when connecting or disconnecting the USB as well as if there is any static in the air (i.e. I get up from my bed and static is generated from my clothes on the blanket)

I wouldn't be surprised if there is some sort of electrical problem in my computer. I have experienced problems with shorting/not starting. But I have not been able to figure out the cause. I have checked all the standoffs on my mother board as well as the connections within the PC.

Any help is appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C Audio 2
A Audio 1
M Audio 3
M Audio 1
J Audio 1
T Audio 1
A Audio 5
R Audio 6
M Audio 1
potche Audio 3
A Audio 1