Backup Singer Sues Rockstar for $250M

Status
Not open for further replies.

insider3

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2009
I never heard of this guy. But I figured since they used his image, he should be locked up for shooting cops, bangin prostitutes, robbing people, grand theft auto. etc.

gorillateets

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2010
What is Cypress Hill? Who is this guy? Where is the picture of him so we can actually compare their 'likenesses'? I always hated carl. He was always complaining and throwing F bombs for no reason in GTA: SA. You'd think the jackass would be honored that they used his likeness in such a popular game. Another way for some idiot to exploit the system to get rich.

jomofro39

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2009
I hope he gets nothing and then has to pay his jackass lawyer. This is pure scraping. "We rode bicycles! Pay ME!". Absolutely BS.

SirGCal

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
Sounds like he has a valid argument. But 250M? Not a chance. Maybe 1M at best... Even top ovie stars aren't paid 250M for their 'likeness' for a two hour production... I'm not a fan of that style of music at all but... I'm also not a fan of people stealing ideas/etc. But at the same time I'm not a fan of people raping the system like this. Does he deserve something? Probably, if all is true. But Is it even in the millions? Doubtful... IF, then only just... 250M my backside. But that's just my humble opinion.

skuds

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2009
Yeah well see that bike hes riding well it looks like my old bike so I am sueing them for not paying for it.

sirmorluk

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]sirmorluk[/nom]Lol this is rediculas. This guy must be insane in the membrane.[/citation]
rediculas=rediculous Doh!

SirGCal

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
[citation][nom]sirmorluk[/nom]rediculas=rediculous Doh![/citation]
Ohh crap.. You're fired... ... Well actually, it was more entertaining then the article anyhow... Even if it does have merit... :) HAHA!

teknomedic

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2007
Surely they have more evidence than just the game character looking like this guy, but if that's all they've got AND he wins... I'm gonna start looking really close at game characters and as soon as I find one that looks like me. BAMB, money in the bank. ;)

SirGCal

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
[citation][nom]teknomedic[/nom]Surely they have more evidence than just the game character looking like this guy, but if that's all they've got AND he wins... I'm gonna start looking really close at game characters and as soon as I find one that looks like me. BAMB, money in the bank.[/citation]

Nah, they used his physical appearance likeness as well as his back-story... supposedly... First sentence, second paragraph: Filed Monday, Michael "Shagg" Washington claims that the character Carl "CJ" Johnson uses his image and life story.

Gonemad

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2006
What happened to "mere coincidental" clauses? Does Rockstar slapped one of those in the game? Even if he talked to people inside Rockstar, they changed names, so they could in theory get away with it, right?

This should be solved pretty fast. If Rockstar inserted the "Coincidental" clause somewhere in the game, this guy can whine how much he'd like... If such clause is not valid because had direct contact with the game writers, then...

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
Don't they have a "Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental" disclaimer? What the hell is wrong with those people?

officeguy

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2009
I hope his nephew is over 17 (probably not), since it is was rated "M" for mature,. Maybe Rockstar should sue the mother for $250M for letting her kid play this cop killing, beating people up, stealing stuff and harassing people. It was a great game though :)

f-14

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
hard to sue over something he has in common with about a million other people. there better be specifics, like character scars matching his face from a fight that happened in the game to a fight he had in real life where he can summon the people he fought with to describe the fight and how he got that scar ect ect. to broad of a complaint, bet this one gets thrown out also.

chomlee

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
He probably only wants 100k but the lawyer wants 249,900,000. Both should be put in jail for extortion soley on the fact that they feel they deserve 250M wether or not he has a legitimate case or not.

Once people start asking for "fair" amounts in lawsuits, I will believe in our legal system again.

Flynn_Serlant

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2010
$5 says this is how it happens:

Rockstar responds, says "F*** you, we'll see you in court"
Backup singer revises offer to be slightly under what Rockstar's court costs would be.
Rockstar and backup singer settle out of court.

SirGCal

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
[citation][nom]flynn_serlant[/nom]$5 says this is how it happens:Rockstar responds, says "F*** you, we'll see you in court"Backup singer revises offer to be slightly under what Rockstar's court costs would be.Rockstar and backup singer settle out of court.[/citation]
You forgot the last part:
sueing lawyer get's most of it. backup singer is still in the poor house...

Status
Not open for further replies.