Bad performance gaming laptop

Jun 16, 2018
Back in 2015 i bought an ASUS Rog gl551jw gaming laptop.
When i first got it i noticed that it had a poor performance with low settings in almost every game i played, such as csgo and H1Z1(games that dont require a really good computer to run and mine certainly was not doing the job correctly). This issue consisted on my fps dropping constantly from +-250 fps to 60. This made the games unplayable. Back in that time i managed to lock the fps on a number where they wouldn't drop and that worked out for a young me that only wanted to play games. Some time after i watched many people with the same laptop or same specs having a performance on the same games way better than my pc. I tried everything to fix the issue (changing between operating systems, checking the nvidia settings, changing the power options and so on). Nothing worked, otherwise i wouldn't be here. I would like to know if someone had the same problem as me and managed to fix it or if someone knows how to make it work fine.
Thanks in advance,
Samuel

Jun 16, 2018

No, i checked many times. I ran several benchmark's and the temperature stayed in pretty average levels.

Jan 21, 2019
Hi,
Yes I seem to have this problem too on a Lenovo Ideapad 510 with i7-6500U and Nvidia GTX 940MX. Different games all drop FPS a different amount, but it’s always the same percentage drop between standard FPS I should be getting and the lower dropped FPS. When I did a stress test on MSI Afterburner, when I dropped in FPS I noticed my clock speed would drop down to 450MHz, which would make me think it was thermal throttling. Check if your clock speed decreases like mine when it drops frames.
If anyone out there knows of a button that maybe we have pressed to start the computer automatically thermal throttling at a set temp, then tell us and we can try it out. Many thanks.