BadUSB vulnerability in 2016: I still have doubts about what can and not can do.

MOS_6502

Estimable
May 2, 2014
Hello to all.

In 2014, I read that the BadUSB attack was designed to modify the controller firmware of some USB devices that used a Phison controller chip, and/or other USB devices.

From that huge amount of articles that I read, I understood that this attack isn't 100% perfect; to craft it you need to target a specific manufacturer and USB device with the matching details, but even with that info, it was impossible to tell how many devices could be affected by BadUSB.

Now, In 2016, it seems that people stopped to care or speak about this vulnerability, and moreover, I haven't seen too many manufacturers trying to fix or speak about this publically since the release of those proof-of-concept tools.

So, I would like to know if someone with the enough knowledge could provide info about these doubts / questions to get a bit of a peace of mind :

NOTE: I ask these questions assuming that the mentioned device/cable is made by a known manufacturer.

1 - What about BadUSB and the new USB-C connector?.

2 - These devices can be infected by BadUSB?:

A - A Micro SD card
B - A SD/SHDC Card
C - A SD card with a USB flash drive
D - Other propietary memory devices like a Sony memory stick

---

3 - (On this one, I speak about these generic and cheap cables found on some sites of the net) It's possible to hide in plain sight this attack in a simple thing like a USB A to B cable with the given space in both connectors?.

4 - Some other USB devices that aren't a mass storage device can be infected? I will give these examples:

A- if I plug a USB audio sound card in a USB HUB that has been infected previously, the USB audio sound card now will carry the infection to other computers or ports in which it is connected?.

B- Let's think that I have a flash drive that carries the BadUSB infection, and then, I will plug this drive on a XBOX 360, a Smart TV or another device that isn't a computer; the above will see the fate of BadUSB? also, the said devices will infect new plugged devices to them?.

---

5 - There's at least some sort of sign to detect if a device has been infected by BadUSB or a derivative attack?

Many thanks for your time.

Solution
Unless you are talking about securing a nuclear power plant or DOD compartmental information server, don't lose sleep over badUSB. It's more of a theoretical attack with limited practical use and incredibly difficult to actually pull off
Unless you are talking about securing a nuclear power plant or DOD compartmental information server, don't lose sleep over badUSB. It's more of a theoretical attack with limited practical use and incredibly difficult to actually pull off

Solution

MOS_6502

Estimable
May 2, 2014

Sorry for the late response, I have been very busy. I will pick your response as the solution.

Regards!.