Baking a dead laptop as a last resort

Poofgh

Estimable
Jan 31, 2015
Hello, I have a dead laptop mobo and since I cant afford a new one right away my only option is to fix it.
I've searched through the web and only found a last resort, baking it.
Now Im down for that, but I'm worried that some of the parts may melt and Ive noticed that this method is mostly used for laptops with problems with the GPU.
So yeah, thanks in advance, let me see your suggestions or answers.

Solution

Unknown, but probably not.
A 'short circuit' is generally a connection between two components when there should not be one. 'Baking' will only soften the soldering material, and potentially reestablish a previously shaky connection. It would not remove a 'short circuit'.

How did you discover that it is a short circuit? Did that short kill any other components?

Baking it, even if done 100% correctly, probably will not fix whatever actual issue there is.

But...since it currently does not work at all, what do you have to lose by trying?
Will it fix it? No. Will it...

Poofgh

Estimable
Jan 31, 2015
Sorry for not including this but the mobo is dead because of a short curcuit and not physically, so what i should have asked is will baking it solve the short curcuit?

USAFRet

Illustrious

Unknown, but probably not.
A 'short circuit' is generally a connection between two components when there should not be one. 'Baking' will only soften the soldering material, and potentially reestablish a previously shaky connection. It would not remove a 'short circuit'.

How did you discover that it is a short circuit? Did that short kill any other components?

Baking it, even if done 100% correctly, probably will not fix whatever actual issue there is.

But...since it currently does not work at all, what do you have to lose by trying?
Will it fix it? No. Will it make it worse? No.

Solution

Poofgh

Estimable
Jan 31, 2015
I figured it was a short circuit when the LED light on the AC adapter stopped lighting when plugged inside the laptop, and took it to a technician and said it is indeed a short curcuit, and he said its better to buy a new laptop, but it'll take me quite some time to buy a new one. So yeah thanks for the answer, I'll definetley try it next week or some day. Thanks again.

Poofgh

Estimable
Jan 31, 2015
Oh bollocks i forgot, can i bake it inside a small oven or does have to be big?
If i can bake it inside a small oven will the temp and the time change because of size difference?