Battery at 100% plugged in vs. having it from 40%-80% charging all the time.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

isa.milis

Prominent
Oct 14, 2017
OPTION 2. I have tried this with my used laptop (macbook pro) for few months. The battery capacity is even increased a bit (2-3%). However the cycle is also increased (mine is 2 cycle per week) - which is still better than losing battery capacity.

Source: Many articles and experience Tesla owners manage the battery.

lifecoderonak2016

Prominent
Nov 21, 2017

I have done the max charge to 80%. So can I expect my battery life to be about 4-5 Years. Should I allow battery discharge often?

henkpoley

Prominent
Feb 4, 2018

MacBooks built since 2010 seem to be specifically designed to have a high capacity for exactly(?) 1049 cycles. After that they seem go into a safer charging and discharging regime (limited to approx. 80% of their remaining capacity, or 60% of their original capacity)

Examples with this behaviour:

Recent year MacBooks rarely have proper statistics for >1100 battery cycles. So they are not included in this list.

Examples which don't:

For some of the >=2010 models it might be that there are just not enough statistics. Or maybe people can figure out a reason why Apple would include a different grade battery or charging regime in those laptops?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Laptop General Discussion 2
F Laptop General Discussion 2
L Laptop General Discussion 3
B Laptop General Discussion 2
F Laptop General Discussion 7
Y Laptop General Discussion 1
F Laptop General Discussion 1
P Laptop General Discussion 4
H Laptop General Discussion 2
P Laptop General Discussion 1
A Laptop General Discussion 3