Battery Fueled By Air Could Power Cars, Laptops

Status
Not open for further replies.

worst3

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2008
can you recharge it? and would it release oxygen when you do. or dose it just get clogged with oxygen and become useless?

seem like a good idea except of NASA

coopchennick

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2008
How would it work in a sealed phone like the iphone?

Won't the battery need more or less constant contact with the air? I don't want a battery sticking out the back of my phone...

Humans think

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2009
[citation][nom]worst3[/nom]seem like a good idea except of NASA[/citation]
That's funny!
[citation][nom]jacobdrj[/nom]Sounds like a perpetual motion machine trying to shatter the 2nd law of thermodynamics...Where is the energy coming from?[/citation]
I didn't also understand how it really works I guess it is like "2*H2+02->2H20(ash)+thermal energy" then you apply electrical current and it becomes "electrical energy + 2H20 -> 2*H2(fuel) + 02". I guess they found a way to do "carbon fuel + 02 -> carbon ash + electrical energy" when you plug it in again "carbon ash + electrical energy -> carbon fuel + 02"
[citation][nom]worst3[/nom]and would it release oxygen when you do.[/citation]
I guess if my guess is correct it should.

It is a genius idea if this is how it works. And from its ashes fuel would be reborn. Of course, i speculate it will have thermal losses and of course some tearing of the material

astrotrain1000

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2007
They are calling this a battery not an energy source so I don't think perpetual motion is what they have in mind. It seems like to me that something in this battery reacts with the air to produces electricity, probably reaching a cap or saturation point. Then you'd have to go home and plug you battery into something to "drain" your battery of the oxygen. All standard loses to heat would apply just that the actuall storage of energy would be higher than lithium.

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
An intriguing idea.

Someone give these guys more funding to see what they can do. :)

Also, though it stores more energy, how efficient would it be?
How much does the charge dwindle over time? Simply cut the airflow to preserve battery life?
How many times could it be recharged?

In theory, this would be an excellent step for electric cars, because chemical battery storage is expensive, consumes a lot of volume, and inefficient, and recycling is needed.
Instead if getting 100 miles on a charge, getting 1000 miles or more would be awesome. Being cheaper in the first place you could use more batteries.

It'll be wonderful to see were this goes for now, and I do hope it lives up to its potential. I can wait 5 years.

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
I dunno... something seems fishy here.

This is almost perpetual motion, except the carbon component would have to be changed im sure.

"" Oxygen is freely drawn in from the air and reacts within the pores of the carbon component, creating a constant "flow" of energy, or as Bruce states, a reagent, continuously recharging the battery as it discharges.""

SOOO if it is constantly recharging it would not have to be very large?
This battery will take over the earth's power needs... Just get a battery large enough to power a factory or your home/car/everything.

engrpiman

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2006
its not perpetual motion because perpetual motion implies its a closed system, Its not , it draws oxygen. It just so happens that the oxygen is so much more abundant then the carbon that the carbon would run out first.

kingssman

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2006
Well i doubt perpetual motion despite the description border lines upon it. More bang than lithium would be great, at least we won't have to dwell into ultracapitors. Right now batteries are heavy and when out of energy they are dead weight. We need something with either lots of efficiency or can transfer from a liquid to a gas state when the electrons are used, much like we have now with liquid fuels

kato128

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
[citation][nom]computabug[/nom]So if we're using our laptop while on the toilet, it's going to get clogged with tiny airborne particles of poo?[/citation]

News flash! That already happens.

starryman

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2009
Har har... another greenie product to rouse ooh's and ahh's. In the last 4-5 years with green being in and hip, I've seen hundreds of new battery and enviro tech pipe dreams. Lots of physics and chemistry snake oil in my book.

kingnoobe

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
To all the people doubting it because you think you're smarter then all these scientist. It'd do you good to remember people used to think the world flat. Just because we have theorys on things, don't make them right. We could be wrong in so many ways and not even know it. A theory is still just a theory.

Status
Not open for further replies.