Battery max charge history windows 8

buggaby

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2010
Hello all!

Quick question on battery history. I'm running windows 8.1 on a Toshiba Z830. I used the battery history tool in windows 8 and it gives a history of the "full charge capacity" of my battery. It's rated for 46,472 mWh but it's only chargeable to 33,430 mWh. That's due to battery age and usage. I get that. But the history shows 2 significant drops in max charge with no change in between.

i.e. January through March it was constant at ~40,000 mWh. Then suddenly it drops to ~37,000, where it stays constant for several months. It then jumps again to the final ~33,000 mWh.

I would expect battery decline to be gradual rather than "punctuated". Any ideas of the cause?

Thanks in advance!
bugs

Solution

That's one of the things I thought. But maybe it's something I'm doing to suddenly and dramatically hurt the battery. I've also heard of various software things that force a battery to "degrade", so could be that. I guess it would be nice if anyone else has used this Windows 8 tool and has seen the same type of output.

Arcturus314

Honorable
Jun 13, 2013
It could be that the way they measure battery capacity is not all that accurate, so they could either be taking the average of many readings or have their sensor calibrated for a few values, so it only changes when it reaches one of those values. Your battery health is a gradual decline though.

buggaby

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2010

That's one of the things I thought. But maybe it's something I'm doing to suddenly and dramatically hurt the battery. I've also heard of various software things that force a battery to "degrade", so could be that. I guess it would be nice if anyone else has used this Windows 8 tool and has seen the same type of output.

Solution

Arcturus314

Honorable
Jun 13, 2013

It wouldn't be so dramatic. I think its just how the sensor reads it.