Battery problem on ASUS notebook

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

aaron88

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2005
Hello,

I've got a ASUS PRO66IC running Windows 7 64bit with all updates installed and I recently came across a strange problem with it. I rarely use it in battery mode since I'm usually close to a power source, but the other day i had to use it on the go and this is when my problem occured.

When the battery percentage (as indicated by the battery meter in windows) reached 35% it shutdown without warning. I tried to turn it back on several times but it would shutdown during start up (just as it would if there was no power left in the battery). When I got back home i connected the charger and the computer powered up just as usual, and the battery (still reading 35%) started charging just as normal.

I've been able to reproduce the problem several times since this initially happened, and its the same thing every time, it shuts down without any type of warning as soon as it hits 35%. At first I thought it was some form of battery reading failure, and that my battery actually was out of juice, but after further investigation this cant be the case. The laptop is fairly new, and from a full battery to shutdown (at 35%) I only end up getting about 50minutes of battery life (with all battery saving features turned on, lowest screen brightness and CPU speed etc, and usage kept to a minimum).

I've gone thru the event logs in hope of finding some sort of clue to what is causing the problem and noticed 5 "failures" of the ACPI, which i beleive deals with the battery, the event-id of this failure is 13. None of these failures have occured when I've experienced the problem, but I figured they might be related anyways.

The computer works just fine when plugged in to a charger and I havn't been experiencing any other problems, the "critical battery level" (and automated shutdown) is set to 5% and shouldn't have anything to do with the problem.

I havn't installed any strange software (infact, I havnt installed anything at all other than windows updates) or changed any settings since the time it was working fine.

Also, if anyone have a similair laptop, is your battery life as bad as mine? I get around 1min/1% of battery with maximum possible power saving (no wifi, lowest screen brightness, lowest CPU speed etc.)

I would greatly appreciate any help that could lead me to the cause of this problem, thanks!

fortuna

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2011
Hi,

Let me start by saying that i think you took this problem way too far :)
If you ask me it's a simple matter of battery that is about to be dead. Why do you think the original batteries come with only 3 months of warranty in mostcases?

I believe that if you try your laptop with another (good) battery - this won't happen.
I had an Acer laptop and i had the same exact problem! After 2 years of connecting it only to an ac-adapter, i had enough and bought a replacement, it was a smart thing to do let me tell you that. You must also learn how to use your battery properly in order for it to last longer.
Here's a good place with some very useful tips:
Some battery tips

This site also offers a power configurations guide and some other useful information

Cheers!

anders4431

Honorable
Mar 6, 2012
Hi.
Having the exact same problem on an ASUS UL50VT computer. BIOS is the newest version (217).
http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=3&s=211&m=UL50VT&os=&hashedid=QqP6p1vDWwn0IIzZ

I tried reinstalling windows from asus recovery (F9), which didn't work.

I also tried creating a ms-dos usb, and running the tool "Battlfm" from asus, but it didn't really work on my laptop. It kept saying something like "Please plug in your power cable"...
Described here:
http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?board_id=3&model=F3Sv&id=20070722080634375

I tried Reflashing the BIOS, and it didn't work.

The symptoms are the same. Battery staying at 100%, and suddenly poweroff's between 35% and 60%

jbusser

Honorable
Mar 9, 2012
I am having the same problem with my iPhone 4. After charging the phone, it will remain at 100% for a long time (which was unusual compared to the first month I had the phone). At bout 39%, the phone dies. I still get the same length of battery life. It seems that the battery calibration is off by about 40%. Is this problem have to do with the battery, or does it have to do with the phone not reading the amount of battery present?

datsyuk13

Honorable
Mar 11, 2012
I have an Asus notebook, U43 series, and am having the exact same dilemma. It began shutting down around 35% and now consistently does between 50-60%. My battery is around 8 months old, I changed the auto hibernate/shut down at critical battery level and messed around with different plans but to no avail.

As a student this is very frustrating in classes where there are no outlets. I will post any potential solutions I find and continue checking back, it is kind of nice to know there are others with the same problem.

asususer73053

Honorable
Jun 12, 2012
Hello all,

I've been having the same issue. My ASUS laptop, at first, would "ding" to remind me at about 5% that I need to plug in. After about 1 1/2 years of having the laptop, it started to just shut off at 30%(ish). It got progressively worse as I tried to find a solution. I updated BIOS, all kinds of other files and applications from the ASUS website. I tried all of the solutions suggested in this thread, and by the time I gave up, it was shutting off at 50% battery. I *ALMOST* just upgraded my laptop.

But, there's nothing else wrong with the laptop, so I decided to buy a new battery. It worked great. Even as I type this, I'm running on battery power, and I'm down to 18% with no problems. Everything is back to working as normal.

**Note: I'm notorious for using my laptop with it plugged in and at full battery. I've been told this hurts the battery life significantly because the heat from the power zaps at the battery. I'm not sure if it's true (it sounds true), but I'm going to only plug in when I'm under 10% from now on. Hopefully I can avoid this problem again until I'm really ready to upgrade my laptop!

I hope this helps someone else. If you're doubting whether replacing the battery will help, update all your stuff. If you're still having issues, I highly recommend just replacing the battery.

Best of luck!

starlite8a

Honorable
Jul 31, 2012
I've been having the EXACT same issue with my ASUS laptop - so its great to see so many replies here.

I'm glad to hear that replacing the battery worked!! Did anyone else have success with just buying a replacement battery?? I'm most likely going to just do that, but it would be nice to hear that it worked for multiple people :)

Incidentally, when I first bought this laptop the battery worked GREAT and was my favorite feature of the computer (it would last at least 7 hours, sometimes more), so its extra painful to be dealing with this issue (although of course I know that batteries only last for so long!)

CrazyMan1010

Honorable
Aug 24, 2012
I have a similar problem. though not exactly the same, my laptop shuts off immediately after i unplug it from the charger. doesn't matter which end, what power options, whether its opened up or closed, same results. I bought the laptop in March, and have only recently been getting these problems. If replacing the battery works, then i want to try it as i think i'm still under warranty (not exactly sure :/). However, i dont want to go about the hassle of getting a new battery and what not until i am sure it works. I have read of a few examples in which this works, and some where this does not. can anyone tell me under what circumstances thi would or would not work?
Thanks in advance :)

curlyculp

Honorable
Sep 29, 2012
I have a similar problem. The original ASUS battery wore out, so I bought a replacement generic. After a couple days, the power LED starts flashing green and yellow and the battery level displayed and time remaining stops decreasing. I checked the battery and turns out I bought a 10v battery, but the old was a 14.4v, so I exchanged the battery for the correct one and it did exactly the same thing.

stainsbyte

Honorable
Dec 1, 2012
I have an ASUS UX21E and I am traveling, so I am inconsistent in how I use the plugged in power. Suddenly it shuts down without warning. Battery power may be as high as 80% or low at ~30% or anywhere in between.
The laptop first had problems 3 months after I bought it, I had it repaired in Istanbul where they replaced the motherboard.
It was good for 6 months, but has happened again. It is currently in for repair in Lisbon. Let's see what they do to it.

somas91

Honorable
Oct 15, 2013
I have a similiar problem with my laptop I'll be in a 4 hour lecture and halfway through my laptop dies, even when 35% is remaining.
I have to bring my charger with me everywhere. I'm thinking of buying another battery just to carry around so I don't end up ruining my adapter with all the travelling I put it through to and from school on my bike.

danwat1234

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
It could be that the battery still has that % of capacity remaining, but the internal resistance of the battery pack is high enough that the voltage drops too much from the load of the laptop. A good test would be if you run prime95 with it on battery power, if it quits at a higher % or even immediately, it may be internal resistance. Or, circuitry in the battery is confused and is cutting power when it 'thinks' there is too much load on the battery.

Just a possibility.

aatjitra

Estimable
Jun 10, 2014
I have my Asus Zenbook UX-21E and I also have this similar problems.

I am using Debian as a replacement of the original OS (Windows 7) and the computer is just shutdown while the battery level is just about 70%.

In Debian itself, the charge level is about 70% with time around 1hr 18 minutes remaining.

After it turned off, I just tried to keep turning on and go into BIOS screen. I leave it there until several minutes without charging the battery and the notebook is keep going on.

It will dead again after about half an hour and I reboot it back to Debian and stay at the login screen. Surprisingly, it can stay about almost an hour at that screen before it turns off again.

And I plug in the charger, reboot to Debian and stay in the home screen and immediately I unplug the charger. The battery runs for almost another 1 hour and now the indicator shows a correct figure (I guess) and it down from 10% all the way down to 1% and do automatic turn off.

Now the battery is completely flat and I put back the charger. It may takes about 3 hour to do full charge and since then my notebook starts to behave normally.

Maybe this can help.

edubb3400

Estimable
Jun 14, 2014

CB41

Estimable
Jul 6, 2014

I had a similar issue with my ASUS N550LV where the amber charge light would not quit blinking and I could not charge it to 100%.

TRY THIS:
1. Open your Laptop and remove the battery.
2. Using a clean tooth brush carefully brush off the battery contacts (on the battery and on the laptop)
3. replace the battery.
4. Plug the AC adapter and connect it to your laptop.
5. Leve it until battery is fully charged.
6. Once the battery is 100% charged click Start button, and go to Control Panel.
7. Select Power Options, create a new power plan by clicking Create a power plan.
8. Name the plan something like Battery maintenenace , then click Next.
9. Select Never under battery value for "Turn off the display" and "Put the computer to sleep" then click Create.
(This will prevent your notebook from turning off the display and entering Sleep mode to help drain battery faster).
10. Next unplug AC power adapter.
11. Select a movie to play or a DVD or a MP3 file and loop it continusly.
12. Set yory WMP or VLC player to repeat mode and start the playback.
13. Allow the player to play until the laptop turns off.
14. Plug in the AC power and restart your laptop, and let it charge it to 100%.
15. change the power plan back to your default plan.
Hopefully your issue will be resolved as mine was.
use as normal

I recommend doing this once a month to help ccle the battery fully and calibrate the battery,

CB

KUNAL MALAKAR

Estimable
Aug 15, 2014
AS i faced this problem and solved it though googling.SO here is the solution :just go to power option in control panel..then go to ur power plan what u r using right now..then just restore the defaults settings...

DONE@!

have a nice day broo...

Stanjohn123

Honorable
Nov 29, 2013

I found the solution to this problem. The problem is not with the battery but an Asus bloatware called Power4gear Hybrid. This app messes with the battery notification settings. Just uninstall this POS and you won't face this problem.

I can't believe why Asus support never had an answer to this easy problem.

Update : The problem still persists. What I did for my windows OS was go to command prompt and get the battery report. The report clearly shows that my batteries full charge capacity has reduced . While the design capacity was 57,200 MwH , the battery capacity now has reduced to 24,816 mWh. So the problem is definitely in the battery.

Stanjohn123

Honorable
Nov 29, 2013

It still does not work.

roscoe8000

Estimable
Dec 7, 2015

Open Laptop, disconnect battery, reconnect. Will fix it for a while. then u have to do the same thing again and so on...

Status
Not open for further replies.