Solved! Battery won't power laptop.

Solution
Is the battery still connected correctly inside the laptop?

Which laptop is it? brand and model

place back the HDD and try if it´s working again. If not, it might be a coincidence and the battery is dead.
Jun 11, 2019
I replaced my HD, loaded Windows and the only hitch is the battery function. Battery is detected and shows 100%. Battery gauge shows the battery active and charged with very little degradation (4 years old) yet when I unplug, it powers off. If I close lid, let it sit in hibernation for a while, unplug, plug back in and turn it on, all the programs are started as though a hard shutdown had never occurred. I have changed power settings, reloaded bios, etc. no change. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Jun 11, 2019
Pulled battery, exposed connections on battery, meters less than 1/2 full voltage and won't charge any further, so new battery is the need. Funny to me that Windows thinks it's 100% and won't use it even though actual voltage is less than 50. Even the battery gauge shows it at almost full strength.

Jun 27, 2019
Some PC's have diagnostic tools that will test things like the battery, if your battery has one or more dead cells that can give some odd behaviors,