Milad_6

Prominent
May 15, 2017
Hey everyone,

Sitrep:
- opened the laptop and unplugged the battery
- cleaned the fan and ...
- plugged the battery again
- error comes up saying the battery is not detected / not charging / unknown remaining

system:
- dell vostro 5470

[Update 5/17/2017]
Got it checked by a local laptop technician:
- motherboard and all components: OK
- battery connector male/female: OK
- battery positive/negative wires: OK
- battery data/clock/thermistor wires: Unknown
- battery cells: OK
- battery controller board: Unknown
- battery voltage and current: OK
- battery charge/discharge: OK
- battery even works for 5 hrs under high usage

Solution

So the battery actually works for hours like it is seen normally? And charges OK? Maybe one of the connectors got damaged, that update shows the data wires are "unknown" which is exactly what would be sending the signals to the computer from the battery about it's status.

Milad_6

Prominent
May 15, 2017

Please read the update. I dont hope for a miracle here. I'm merely looking for a hint; sometimes a simple overlooked idea is all we need. Thanks anyway.

So the battery actually works for hours like it is seen normally? And charges OK? Maybe one of the connectors got damaged, that update shows the data wires are "unknown" which is exactly what would be sending the signals to the computer from the battery about it's status.

Solution

Milad_6

Prominent
May 15, 2017

Yeah, everything looks normal, yet the system does not detect any battery! The wires are probably fine. My guess is the cell experienced a kind of shock when removed from the motherboard and so the battery controller board somehow got damaged/mixed up.