BearShare, KaZAa and such randomly appearing on the network, help!

Vizuka

Estimable
Oct 24, 2014
Hi, i have a problem where sometimes when i go onto my routers config page by typing my IP in the search bar in any browser and then logging in, i can see programs like "BearShare" and programs like it randomly appearing under "Manage Programs & Games" and it says "BearShare - Server". Why do i have BearShare, KazAa and other random programs on my network? Before you ask, everyone in the house has run Malware Bytes + Bitdefender scans on their PC's and noone found anything, and we have all checked our PC's to see if we have installed BearShare or programs like it but no. No one has, so how on earth could we possibly have BearShare servers on our network? We have tried just simply deleting the programs from the config page, but they always seem to randomly reappear after about 3-6 weeks :/ I have absolutely NO idea what could be causing this.. The only thing i do on my PC is watching anime/shows on Netflix and playing games with my friends through Steam and talking to them via TeamSpeak, this problem has been going on for about a year. I have googled the issue but i can't seem to find any answers. Please help!

Vizuka

Estimable
Oct 24, 2014

Yes, we are using wireless networking, well, my PC, and my two brothers PC's are using wired via ethernet cables, but we have 1 PC plus 3 phones on the WiFi ;)

Vizuka

Estimable
Oct 24, 2014

As i said, we have checked all the computers and phones for that matter and none have those programs installed. Even our phones run Bitdefender and we have scanned even them for Malware. So, i know that would be the most logical explanation, but that just isn't the case here..

Sep 13, 2014
You need to go inside your router and see if someone is lurking and piggybacking off of your network. Is your wireless network protecting with an encryption key? If not, its nothing more than a random coffee shops free wi fi. Anybody can get it.

USAFRet

Illustrious

Then someone else is sucking off your WiFi.

And that someone is utterly clueless. Those protocols haven't been used in ages.

mcnumpty23

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2011
even encryption keys are no guarantee

if using wep its breakable in 5 to 10 minutes flat

if using wps its quickly breakable

if using wpa with a simple password--for example 8 letters or 8 numbers its easily breakable

if using a router that has an inherent security issue--and there are more than you would think straight from isps then its also breakable

Vizuka

Estimable
Oct 24, 2014

Yes, it is protected by an encrypted key.

Vizuka

Estimable
Oct 24, 2014

If it helps, the programs are listed in this menu:
http://i.imgur.com/H4tJxGM.jpg?1
And yeah, the modem is provided by our ISP Telia (Sweden).