Beeping noise from home cinema system

jonfryk

Prominent
Sep 6, 2017
Hey, all you the tech wizards and sound magicians out there. I have run into an annoying problem with my new but oh so old surround sound setup. The issue is as follows:

I recently bought/received a Samsung HT-TXQ120 home cinema system. It's an old beast from 2007 but supposedly still sounds great. "Great", I thought, spurred on by the bargain price. Then, when I hooked it up to my projector and plugged a Chromecast into the receiver (via a HDMI pass-through), I soon noticed a weird humming noise.

The noise has a distinct, high-pitched tonality (a kind of beep) and changes in pitch when the volume is adjusted. Run through the speakers, this bothersome signal is bearable, but when I plug my earphones into the receiver the signal renders listening to music or watching movies during the small hours practically impossible - it's just too loud.

I've tried replacing HDMI cables, changing power source, disabling WiFi and Bluetooth, unplugging the speaker cables, but still the same. The real kick is that there is a dimmer button on the remote control (which dims the blue LED-light on the receiver display), and if I push it the signal weakens considerably, like cuts the noise level in half. Any suggestions? What am I missing?

Solution
The fact that dimming the display reduces the noise tells me that there is a something there that is generating the noise. Maybe the display itself or it's power supply. Paying a tech to troubleshoot that is going to be more than you probably paid for the whole HTS.

dudio

Admirable
- Try the system in a different power outlet (ie: different room on a grounded circuit).
- Try a different source into the system, try a different input (the 2 RCA inputs).

If it's still bad after that, I suspect the Amplifier/power supply in it is pooched.