Beginners question on installing and using a amp. You plug the radio into the amp. my first question is

Jbander

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2011
You plug the radio into the amp. my first question is the radio has a amp in it I'm assuming, so your plugging a amp into the amp, sound like a problem for some reason. Another question, there is a 3.5mm input plug in on the radio. My fm radio earphone plug in my cell phone works quite nice plugged into the radio. the radio works with my cell phone but will it work with a small radio through the 3.5mm that I'm assuming is amplified more the the cell phone. last question the amp has a 3.5mm into it also ,will the cell phone and a small radio connect into that socket in to the amp., it's the line in for the mp3.

An input labeled mp3 would be designed for a DAP/iPod or phone so it is able to accept a higher input than a regular line level input would. If you device is putting out too much for the amp then you will hear distortion regardless of how low you adjust the volume of the amp. If you hear distortion try turning the volume of your source down.

Jbander

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2011
Thanks for the response it was helpful, there is actually two projects ,one adding better speakers to my computer, it had to be on the cheap, which audiophiles may not appreciate but it had to be done that way or not at all. I read about a combination of a Dayton b652 speaker and Lepai LP-2020A amp and that is great for my purpose, in fact I'm amazed.
The other is my car that had a radio that didn't work, In my reading, working on the other project, I found out that the 3.5mm on the radio was a line in not for a headset . so I plugged my cell fm in and it worked but I didn't want to use the cell because I forget everything and didn't want it stolen. So I went back to Lepai and got their lp-168ha which has a FM built in. I don't have it yet. but I was just wondering about where I could or should plug in a small radio, in the amp or the radio, they both have 3.5mm plug ins. I'm also trying to figure out whether to plug the amp going through the radio which is the easiest way, the radio is already connected to the speakers or the radio through the amp to the speakers, which is the harder way. I would have to wire between the amp and the speakers, I really like easy just generally.

The Lepai lp-168h is an integrated amp. No tuner built in so it won't help you.
Buy a Sansa Clip or other mp3 player with fm radio built in and just connect it the head unit in the car as you did your phone. You can play music files too this way. If you have an old cell phone with FM you can use that.

Jbander

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2011
The Lepai lp-168 does have a fm radio in it. so can I now plug the lepai lp-68 into the 3.5mm plug on the radio.