Beijing Apple Store Ups Security to Fight Scalpers

Status
Not open for further replies.

mavroxur

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2009
What are security guards going to do? Prevent people form purchasing them? No. They might prevent the scalping from happening outside the store, but then they will just push them on eBay. Problem not solved, just moved. This will probably just drive the scalped prices higher since the scalpers will have a wider potential customer base.

But none more deserving than Apple customers :)

chick0n

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2010
What's so good about iPhone I really don't understand. Mind you my GF has one and she liked it, but she doesn't use any of the so called "function/apps", she just use it to make calls. WOW big f-ing deal. a 7-800 bux phone just to make calls? ok. This is how pathetic Apple owners are.

SneakySnake

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2009
@ chick0n

how does your gf not using any apps on her iPhone mean that all apple users are pathetic? If you bought her an andriod would she suddenly use all the functionality? Probably not.

I'm an apple owner and a PC owner. The general userbase of both platforms sucks at technology. I'm not going to make up some story about my ex not knowing how to install stuff on her PC and then try to pass that off as all PC users blow, cuz it's simply not the truth.

Why all the hate bro??

djgene01

Distinguished
May 22, 2010
Apple is a load of wannabe pc crap. they are overpriced and loaded with crap software. on top of that you can't install anything that is not APPROVED by steve jobs. How does he know what i would like to install on mys phone or pc. ID10T. Mac users are people that don't feel comfortable using Advanced Pc's

marokero

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2009
Didn't they already have the hiPhone knock-offs? China seems content in copying everything in the West rather than develop their own innovations. Maybe if the factories from western companies weren't all in China...

SneakySnake

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2009
@djgene01

iPhone is a closed platform, your right, only approved apps are on the app store. But you can install anything you want in OS X including viruses lol

you can even install windows if you want. There's no approval process to put an app on the web that can run on OS X

djgene01

Distinguished
May 22, 2010
But why the HUGE price difference between PC's & Macs. it's all the same hardware. and don't tell me it's because macs looks better. You get some stunning PC's.

G

[citation][nom]djgene01[/nom]But why the HUGE price difference between PC's & Macs. it's all the same hardware. and don't tell me it's because macs looks better. You get some stunning PC's.[/citation]

mac designer: box/ rectangular shape with the edges curve. make it smaller than the last generation.

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
What needs to be done is the re-education of the masses in China...yes, scalpers and people with low/no morals are in every country. But you can find them in greater numbers AND concentration in China.

Now, time to wait for the "racist!" yells.

exodite

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2010
Or they could make sure the phones are available in quantity. Can't be any real incentive to scalping if everyone can get one in the store.

SneakySnake

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2009
[citation][nom]djgene01[/nom]But why the HUGE price difference between PC's & Macs. it's all the same hardware. and don't tell me it's because macs looks better. You get some stunning PC's.[/citation]

Apple tax, nuf said

LuckyDucky7

Distinguished
May 5, 2010
Or maybe they should make a system that activates the iPhone 4 to you (after doing a check in China's database that you actually live at that address) in the store, so when they take it out and try to sell it, all the user's phone bills come back to you, the scalper.

The only way to get around this is to jailbreak the phone, but that can be sidestepped by requiring phones with certain serial numbers to check every time they have an Internet connection for the latest version of iOS.

If certain phones report that they've been hacked in the upgrade process, then the phone turns into a brick.

Post this outside the store in big letters and that'll shut 'em down.

Or you could take the simpler route and just restrict new purchasers to buying one iPhone per year.

mikem_90

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
[citation][nom]SneakySnake[/nom]China is ridiculous[/citation]

Its more likely a function of economics and population. Larger sections of the public are getting more disposable income, with a huge population already there is a drive for these gadgets.

You may not be old enough to remember the craze over Cabbage patch kid dolls, or any of the other things out there. Scalpers come into it because of the demand. It was a problem in the US with sports events too. Because its trivial to buy things up people want and sell at a markup (Capitalism Ho!) people will always be there to make a Yuan.

People are just crazy, no matter where they are. More people = More crazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.