Solved! Best amplifier under 150$?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cirjakvoja

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2015
Hello, I am looking forward to buy an amp for my Wharfedales Diamond 225 speakers. I am looking to spend no further than 150$. So far I have seen these amplifiers at this price range available to me:
SMSL SA-98E
FX Audio D802C
SMSL Q5 PRO

If I am correct, the SMSL SA-98E provides the most power (Watts) whereas the Q5 and the FX audio have the digital thingy.. not sure that i know the real difference between these 3 amplifiers. Neither do i know which one to pick.

Solution
I agree that a used integrated amp or receiver will give you better sound and more real power. Go with a stereo rather than surround sound receiver unless you actually want to use the surround sound. An older Marantz AVR without HDMI but with digital inputs would be well within your price range. They sound pretty good in stereo and have stable high current amps.

cirjakvoja

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2015

Hmmm, I wouldn't trust that brand. It's super cheap and low quality, bad reviews. I find it funny that you dont know SMSL, since it's quite popular and reliable.. But either way I wouldn't trust Pyle.. sorry

What about old amps? Ones from 90's?
They are high quality, high wattage per channel and uses same "chip" which can be found today in cheap car stereos. Yes they are a bit bulky but they have a lot of options.
Fisher, kenwood, yamaha, grounding, if you find withn your budget with tube amps get it.

Just to add the "chip" is LM3866

I agree that a used integrated amp or receiver will give you better sound and more real power. Go with a stereo rather than surround sound receiver unless you actually want to use the surround sound. An older Marantz AVR without HDMI but with digital inputs would be well within your price range. They sound pretty good in stereo and have stable high current amps.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.