Best and cheapest Macro Tube/Lens setup for Canon XTi?

gtgm_110

Honorable
Feb 7, 2014
What is the best and cheapest way to get good macro photos with this camera?

I love to take pictures of things like wood grains, insects, plants, etc. up close but I only have the stock lens for this camera.

In order to get really good close up photos, would I need 2 macro tubes, 1 tube and some bellows, 1 tube and an actual macro lens, etc.? I'm looking to keep the total purchases around 50-80 dollars. I've seen that some of these things run between 20-40 dollars, so which combination would give me the best pictures?

Thanks in advance! I don't have time to search this stuff up and I'm pretty much a noob anyways, so I appreciate the help

Solution
From what I understand, the "best" is really a matter of personal preference and necessitates experimentation. The cheapest are available on Amazon and eBay. Note that the cheaper iterations don't have electrical contacts, so you'll be without a means of setting aperture, and focus can be an issue.

-JP

jpishgar

VP, Global Community
Jan 5, 2010
From what I understand, the "best" is really a matter of personal preference and necessitates experimentation. The cheapest are available on Amazon and eBay. Note that the cheaper iterations don't have electrical contacts, so you'll be without a means of setting aperture, and focus can be an issue.

-JP

Solution

gtgm_110

Honorable
Feb 7, 2014

Thank you! I found some extension tubes with electrical contacts so I can still control aperture, so here's hoping they work well