Best (and Worst) Cable-Replacement Services 2021

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Oct 16, 2018
I'd like to see packages WITHOUT sports channels. More than 40% of the US don't watch nor care about sports. Sports channels just raise the price of the channel packages for us who don't watch them. If we ever do want to watch or to know scores, we can always watch out local OTA tv channels or local news.

kep55

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
From what I can tell, these are all cable tv nets with a different name. How do you access these outfits? Via the internet. Who provides most of the internet service in the country? Cable TV companies (Spectrum/Charter, Comcast, AT&T, Cincy Bell, etc.) I see no real advantage to any of these outfits.

TheMeebster

Prominent
Sep 14, 2020
I've had AT&T DirectTV streaming since its inception. In fact, I am grandfathered into a slightly better price for my package. However, for personal reasons <<edited by moderator>> I would LOVE to switch ASAP.

But as has been mentioned, the local channel coverage is awful or non-existent with every other of the services I've looked at. I am so far from the two major cities near me, I'd have to spend many dollars on a long-range antenna coupled with a rotor. Add this to my sloped roof, and this sort of installation is in no way appealing to me.

Sadly, or fortunately, depending on how you look at it, AT&T DirectTV Stream has multiple local channels for each network. Who else can say that?

When something locally catastrophic happens, like an earthquake here in CA, I want to be able to see local news.

I would love any feedback on this.

Peace.

Last edited by a moderator:

jhl17

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2012
I have four sets all using Firestick 4K's in NH. Trying the major players, I have had the most issues with Hulu and Sling buffering, etc. Hulu reps claim they are working with known issues on Firesticks and are working on them. The recommend Roku for less problems. Fubo seems to be one of the best, but doesn't offer the channel lineup I want. Anyone know of a different service that offers the locals, plus TCM, Cozi, and Great American Country? Any info on Hulu working better on Roku?

DLarva

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
One thing that I'd like to see in reviews is in regards to how the DVR works. Specifically in relation to pausing live programming, resuming later, but skipping the commercials. I've got Hulu Live and sometimes it doesn't let you skip the commercials. Specifically I tried to pause an NFL game, come back later, and then catch up by skipping. However, it forced me to watch all of the commercials, so I wasn't really able to catch up. Do all the services work this way?

Jan 8, 2023
DirecTV Stream's unlimited DVR keeps recordings for 9 months, not 90 days. It may be a little more expensive, but from my research the Ultimate package is the closest you can get to traditional cable in terms of channels, and it includes Encore. It also includes Bally Sports, which Hulu and YouTube do not (so it's not accurate to say that YouTube includes "local" sports--that's certainly not true in Detroit, where only the NFL broadcasts on the major networks). I would highly recommend DirecTV for people willing to pay a bit more to get more channels and local sports (depending on where you live). YouTube, Hulu, and the rest are fine if you're looking to keep cost as low as possible, but not everyone is. DirecTV just offers a more premium service. It's really not fair to criticize it for that.

Last edited: