Best Buy CEO Resigned Over Personal Misconduct Probe

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

He probably forgot to punch out for his lunch too many times

cheepstuff

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2008
[citation][nom]extremepcs[/nom]Yes, screwing customers = personal misconduct in my book.[/citation]

Please explain to me how that works.
You go into his store, look at a selection of his unsatisfactory products, willingly pick one out, and drag it to the front of so you can pay for it?
It sounds like you are screwing yourself...

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
[citation][nom]cheepstuff[/nom]Please explain to me how that works.You go into his store, look at a selection of his unsatisfactory products, willingly pick one out, and drag it to the front of so you can pay for it?It sounds like you are screwing yourself...[/citation]
Except that they mislead, and sometimes downright lie about those products. Compound that with a confusing return policy, many people are being screwed, particularly the tech-illiterate, which like it or not, are a demographic that out-numbers and out-spends their more literate counterparts...

kristoffe

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2010
some of the worst tech advice and knowledge is in the actual stores at best buy. i go in just to be amazed at their pricing, like a gold connector dvi-d to vga adapter for $27.99 + tax. I tech schooled and scolded the used car salesman in the store who was an employee for it. or the tablet kid who didn't know barely anything about the ... tablets. on and on, bad advice in person, horrible prices too.

now, online best buy and it's deals? awesome. great products, prices, and services. dichotomy.

seels

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2009
I have never bought anything at a Best Buy. They're the most expensive electronics retailer by far, and provide horrible service. Geek Squad is a complete joke considering they're all morons and they charge as much as it would be to buy a new computer just to fix your broken one. They prey on the computer illiterate, and I hope they crash and burn.

turbotong

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010
This sounds like the Mark Hurd scandal all over again... immediate resignation over "misconduct" even though business was doing ok...

oblivionlord

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2007
The guy made 10mil for 2009 yes all the little employees make just a hair over minimum wage. The guy is smokin some serious crack to require 10mil and then some.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]jacobdrj[/nom]Except that they mislead, and sometimes downright lie about those products. Compound that with a confusing return policy, many people are being screwed, particularly the tech-illiterate, which like it or not, are a demographic that out-numbers and out-spends their more literate counterparts...[/citation]
Are you sure you're not talking about Apple?

teddymines

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011
There are a lot of ways Best Buy could have competed with online retailers, but it would require somehow convincing consumers that there is value in driving to an actual store to browse and then pay for a product. A few ideas: How about a BB credit card that provides non-expiring points for usage, and double points for using within a BB store? How about better educating the floor sales teams? How about not treating everyone like a shoplifter? How about referral bonuses? How about free delivery for products over a certain price? How about lifetime labor? How about free in-store clinics for new technology? How about a web site that scans for better deals in real time and then reacts by offering you a better price? For about free in home basic setup? How about including a set of basic cabling? How about extended warranties that don't break the bank? How about buy-back plans so you can keep up with current technologies? How about focusing on a core set of products instead of offering such a wide assortment? How about a dedicated free support line linked to your receipt ID so you can get targeted help for actual experts on the product you just bought? How about a smartphone app that enables you to get live troubleshooting via your built-in camera? How about condensing all this into a list of why people should shop at BB instead of online?

Kibarob

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2012
[citation][nom]neiroatopelcc[/nom]Are you sure you're not talking about Apple?[/citation]

Have you been to a best buy, the Apple "mini store" is in there bud.(least there is one in mine)

The issue with my area (Hampton Roads) Is Best Buy is the only "electronics" store in the area. HHgregg is a major joke to me, and litrally that is it unless OfficeMax/Depot have a sale. 90% of the time i get everything from NewEgg but actually, in the last few days, my mouse died and I needed a new one. The (mouse) companys website, newegg and best buy had it all for the same price, so i just went there and got the mouse. If its something non vital i newegg, but if i need it quickly, sadly, there is only really BB ;-;

thegh0st

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2008
myself, I don't have an issue with Best Buy. I just go in there to look or I KNOW what I am going in there for. I completely agree the employees are severly lacking in knowledge and helpfulness there. though the one thing they do help me with sometimes is finding a product in the store.

and there is times when they have great DVD/BD deals (on movies). I also got a great deal to run some speaker wire in my place I couldn't pass up. sure I could have done it myself but as I said it was worth it to pay to have some one else crawl around in the attic and cut the wall.

btw, I will say on anime they so far never have deals on that stuff. talk about overpriced!

and let's not forget appliances. I have gotten some awesome deals on some of those there to and they price match other retail stores. I swear I used to simply like Circuit City soley for getting Best Buy to price match them.

I also prefer Best Buy to purchase a TV from so if there is an issue I can take it back to Best Buy if I need to and not have to deal with some over the phone "only" service whose going to send someone out. I can go in the store and raise h-e-double hockey sticks or better yet get a brand new replacement TV if its broken beyond repair. try calling or better yet, walking into newegg to gripe & complain. maybe you can if you live in CA. I don't know for sure but not where I am from I can't.

so to me anyways Best Buy has it uses.

G

First off, you cannot expect a store like Best Buy to have professional, educated sales people when they are forced to pay next to nothing in wages. Second, the Geek Squad is designed for people that have virtually NO technical knowledge, but they have to offer these services to everyone. Obviously not everyone needs them.

People forget that Circuit City had the best customer experience scores year in and year out when they were 100% commission and employed professional salespeople. When they got away from that, it slowly went downhill from there.

BB cannot compete on price with the likes of Newegg Amazon etc. because these sites do not have the overhead and historically have not charged sales tax. When you cannot compete on price, you either have to slash prices to erode margin, which compounds your problems, or continue to charge decent margins and accept that some people just won't by unless it is convenient.

There are good people at Best Buy, I know this because I've hired a dozen or so of them. It's easy to coax them away because they are paid so little.

There is no quick fix or easy solution for them. If they become price competitive, then they won't have the money to pay for their stores and employees. The banks won't lend big box stores credit, so BB has to own all of their inventory, which further makes payroll a challenge. If they can find a way to be somewhat competitive pricewise with online, and have fewer employees but better ones that get paid more, yet provide a convenient, positive shopping experience, then they won't go the way of the do-do bird.

jgutz2006

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2009
shocker that tech savvy who read toms dislike Best Buy as they have no clue as to why best buy has to charge more when they pay rent or buy land/build on them, employ staff to keep things running etc compared to amazon/newegg who have warehouses with staff to ship out product which BBY also has. Because you buy online that means tech illiterate are comfortable buying online too? Some people like to go out and interact with these devices before they make the purchase, have you ever been able to do that with amazon?

Status
Not open for further replies.