Best Buy Charging to Install PS3 Firmware Update

Status
Not open for further replies.

vexos

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2010
I think the only reason you would need an update is to play a game. In 100% cases the update comes with game so... That's even worse than Apple.

amk09

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2010
this is why I don't like best buy or any big company for that matter...

...but I guess it's the idiots fault who pays for it, right?

TemjinGold

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2007
Marketing is about figuring out what your customers want to pay for and giving it to them. If they can make money from this, more power to them.

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
worst buy strkes again yay nieve consumers giving them gobs of money... just thike thier whole monster cables.. insulated hdmi cables are so important because of all the signal interference that cna disrupt a DIGITAL signal ... >_< idiots

COLGeek

Cybernaut
If buyers don't have the smarts to do themselves (or are just too lazy), then $30 is a small price to pay to confirm their incompetence. Seems a Forrest Gump quote would work here, but that is too obvious.

jazz84

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2010
This is Best Buy, they blatantly overcharge for EVERYTHING. They get away with this because they are a store for "the masses." I'm not saying that everyone who shops there is an idiot (okay fine, 90% at least), but think about the timing here: granted, December is still a ways off, but everyone likes to get their non-offensive, non-denominational holiday shopping done early. This is likely aimed at parents who don't know any better buying the consoles for their kids. It's a scummy, sneaky business model, but this is the kind of stuff that makes Best Buy successful.

G

Almost as bad as when they tried to sell my mother a gold plated printer cable to go with her new HP inkjet. "cause that will make it print faster". grrr

shockerz33

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2010
yes i think for me$30 is ridiculous, but there are people out there that think a firmware update is a chip you physically install into the machine...idiot people lead to idiot charges.

danimal_the_animal

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2006
Geek squad BLOWS!

Frickin amateurs that blow away your hard drive and have you buy a external hard drive to back up your data.....

The WORST place to take your computer.....They charge more than it cost for service on your vehicle....plus they will look at all your pictures and files during their break.

you basically have a bunch of kids who work on your computer who probably cheated on their A+ exam and don't know crap about fixing your computer.

I don't care who tries to defend this article, because if you read toms hardware and have to go to best buy for a PS3 firmware update or your PC....Then you are LAME cause you cant even fix your own Computer!

scott_madison1

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2010
[citation][nom]danimal_the_animal[/nom]Geek squad BLOWS!Frickin amateurs that blow away your hard drive and have you buy a external hard drive to back up your data.....The WORST place to take your computer.....They charge more than it cost for service on your vehicle....plus they will look at all your pictures and files during their break.you basically have a bunch of kids who work on your computer who probably cheated on their A+ exam and don't know crap about fixing your computer.I don't care who tries to defend this article, because if you read toms hardware and have to go to best buy for a PS3 firmware update or your PC....Then you are LAME cause you cant even fix your own Computer![/citation]

Agreed, I applied there once and was over qualified because i had the A+ certification...

jitpublisher

Distinguished
May 16, 2006
That is almost as bad as their $99 charge to "optimize" your new PC for you. Just bought my wife a new laptop that was "Optimized" although I had them deduct the $99, I told them I wouldn't pay for it, all they units they had in stock were already done that way! Long story short, got it home, booted it up, and yeah, what a big ripoff it would have been to pay for. Honestly. I ended up doing a complete reinstall of the OS myself to fix everything they had screwed up.

drwho1

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
best buy at its Lowest!
Sony should say something and stop this nonsense!

after all Sony put out this updates for FREE why would they want or allowed some other company like best buy to make money from Sony's propietary intellectual product. (AKA the free upgrade)

ArgleBargle

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2008
And the car dealer tries to sell you rustproofing, and the real estate agent conveniently forgets to tell you about the mold damage. Scams are rife in every industry. Nothing to see here. Move along.

G

This is what happens when everybody buys everything over the internet, forcing brick and mortar stores out of business. Best Buy, for all intents and purposes, has no competition, and they act like it.

Want to know whose fault all this is? Look in the mirror...

Status
Not open for further replies.