Best Buy Employee Fired for Stopping Laptop Thief

Status
Not open for further replies.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Best Buy has the right to determine its own rules for these things. While the punishment seems harsh, there are legal and liability issues here that justify the company's response. Folks may not like it, but that is the way it is. Sorry for the former employee, but he knew the rules.

G

This is what lawyers and liberals get you. Companies that fire employees for stopping thieves for fear of lawsuits and nutbag leftwing juries.

skaz

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2011
That poor guy. Doing the right thing and he looses his job. He should have been given a bonus and pat on the back. Great way to treat your employees. Corporate policies always go down to saving the company from any legal action.

slabbo

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2009
Companies would rather pay the lost of 2 laptops, than be liable for injuries or even a death of an employee or robber if something had terribly gone wrong. Nothing to see here kids, move along.

zerapio

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2002
[citation][nom]stm1185[/nom]This is what lawyers and liberals get you. Companies that fire employees for stopping thieves for fear of lawsuits and nutbag leftwing juries.[/citation]
Don't be a moron, it has nothing to do with liberals. A lawsuit will cost you more even if you win it from attorney fees. It's a smart choice for the company to implement the no-robber-stopping policy.

jahmekan

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2011
"This is what lawyers and liberals get you. Companies that fire employees for stopping thieves for fear of lawsuits and nutbag leftwing juries."

So I could say conservatives will break rules as long as they think they are correct? See how stupid that statment is? So was yours. BB policy is that you do not stop a crime in progress and he broke the policy. I am sorry that he lost his job, but the rules are the rules. What he if had gotten hurt or killed, should BB be responsible or him? Guess what, since he is at work and if he got hurt or killed, then BB would be responsible. So stop with the liberal bull crap talk and stick to the topic. GD I hate stupid people, who like to make everything about politics.

LATTEH

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2008
[citation][nom]warezme[/nom]so sad...., 51 and working at best buy, I mean that he got fired[/citation]

best buy has some awesome benefits! you get a 401k i think health care and one hell of a discount

snurp85

Distinguished
May 6, 2009
thats just awful. I would sue best buy for not making the policy well known.

on a side note, its good to know that no one will stop me if I were to run out of the store with stuff

obiown77

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2009
I'm gonna grab my friend and grab a 60" 3DTV tonight, well just pick it up, and slowly walk out. As everything is looking at take this TV, I will keep reminding them. STAY BACK EVERYONE!!!! COMPANY POLICY STATES YOU CAN NOT AND WILL NOT INTERFERE WITH MY THEFT OF THIS TV!!!!!!

meowkitty77

Distinguished
May 7, 2006
I can only assume the intent of that policy is to try and protect its employees from being hurt in the process of a robbery. Clearly this wasn't the case in this situation, but I guess they wanted to stand by their statements and policies to set an example. I doubt there will be any Best Buy employees attempting to prevent a robbery after hearing about this.

obiown77

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2009
[citation][nom]obiown77[/nom]I'm gonna grab my friend and grab a 60" 3DTV tonight, well just pick it up, and slowly walk out. As everything is looking at take this TV, I will keep reminding them. STAY BACK EVERYONE!!!! COMPANY POLICY STATES YOU CAN NOT AND WILL NOT INTERFERE WITH MY THEFT OF THIS TV!!!!!![/citation]

I really need to work on my grammer, lol

G

I would sue the thief for wrongful termination due to his illegal actions which in turn caused him great personal anguish and lost wages... etc... etc... Fight fire with fire! Hell throw in pain and suffering too!

SoiledBottom

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2006
The fallout after Mr. Klines firing

Booted from his neighborhood watch program
Crime stoppers will no longer take his calls
Friends and family now call him snitch and a rat

Status
Not open for further replies.