Best Buy Getting Electric Car Charging Stations

Status
Not open for further replies.

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
interesting... but a few quetions immediatly pop into mind

1st will they charge $ to charge which i am assuming is a probably

2nd if you don't pay to charge will it be some kind of govement paid for thing as i doubt private buisnesses are goign to be willing to pay for your cars power...and i don't want my tax dollars going to supliment thier "fuel"

3rd given the locations i can see people vandilizing and/or destroying these will they be locked or otherwise protected... if it s pole out the ground with a plug i forsee gum being jammed in em, cords cut, and mayeb even more malicious things happening...

good concept might work but there's alot of what ifs

scook9

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2008
Also, how long is it going to take to charge a car? Will it even be practical to charge for just a half hour while shopping?

scook9

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2008
[citation][nom]KingArcher[/nom]How about the amount of time it takes to recharge?You're not going to window-shop/hang-out until its charged are you?[/citation]
Just beat me to it haha, I thumbed ya ;)

Regulas

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
I can bet before it's over with they will make it so you can not plug it into your wall socket. they will figure some way to milk cash from you to charge it by monitoring you. Attach a special power adapter to your electric supply that will enable the government to add their extra charging taxes and such.
Mark my words.

9d3tsi

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2009
Just because you plug it in to a wall, doesn't mean its "clean energy". Isn't coal and other fossil fuels still used to produce electricity? So where's the win? Not to mention.... What does this do to eveyone's electric bill?

rubix_1011

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2007
I have to completely agree with 9d3tsi...I was going to say exactly the same thing. Just because its an 'electric car' the electricity still comes from BURNING TONS OF FOSSIL FUELS TO MAKE ENERGY. It's a displacement of energy, and not any more 'green' than a gas or diesel car...likely less.

shortbus25

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
So we will take all the fuel these cars are not burning, and use it to make electricity instead, so that we will still pollute, and still continue to use oil from other countries, and still deplete resources. Really nothing is going to change I wonder how much more efficient it is to pollute making electricity than driving gasoline powered vehicles? Until we run out of it we'll keep using it and keep polluting, so would it not be more beneficial to just figure out a way to completely do everything without fossil fuel! I'm just saying...

shortbus25

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
I wonder if anyone stop to think that its not the pollution thats causing global warming but the reduction of weight inside the earths core making it wobble more causing the temp spikes around the world?

mr_tuel

Distinguished
May 23, 2009
[citation][nom]shortbus25[/nom]I wonder if anyone stop to think that its not the pollution thats causing global warming but the reduction of weight inside the earths core making it wobble more causing the temp spikes around the world?[/citation] ...and how is the earth's core loosing mass? Fossil fuels are only located within the crust, hundreds (if not thousands) of miles from the core. Plate tectonics cause the crust to become the mantle, and the mantle to become crust. Its cyclical. If I am not mistaken,. The crust itself just stays there mostly, and will continue to exist in its state for another few billion years.

I won't argue the ecological side of this, but we will eventually run out of fossil fuels. As long as we can produce electricity with dams, wind, solar, geothermal, nuclear, fusion, etc, it is the way to go.

mr_tuel

Distinguished
May 23, 2009
EDIT: "The crust itself just stays there mostly, and will continue to exist in its state for another few billion years." I meant to say the core just stays there

tommysch

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
[citation][nom]shortbus25[/nom]I wonder if anyone stop to think that its not the pollution thats causing global warming but the reduction of weight inside the earths core making it wobble more causing the temp spikes around the world?[/citation]

WTF? You must be an American...

Zoidman

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2008
What would be interesting would be if the Geek Squad vehicle switch over to EV's and used the Best Buy as the base station for charging. If it went well, I could see chargers easily spread to all Best Buys, and really increase the network of charging locations for the normal consumer to actually drive places, and not worry quite so much as they do now as to where they will get their next charge.

spectrewind

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
[citation][nom]9d3tsi[/nom]Just because you plug it in to a wall, doesn't mean its "clean energy". Isn't coal and other fossil fuels still used to produce electricity? So where's the win? Not to mention.... What does this do to eveyone's electric bill?[/citation]

We are hydro-electric out here (USA WA/OR/ID). Wind turbine generators are also popping up, LOTS of them.
There's the win.

Status
Not open for further replies.