Best Buy Selling Dual-Display Nook Ereader

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsc

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2004
Ho hum.

I recently picked up a Samsung netbook for traveling. Has Win7 Starter. With Win7, you can hot key and rotate the screen 90 degrees. Rotate the netbook so the display is in portrait mode and the Page up and Down keys fall under your thumb. Perfect ebook reader.

But it probably does not play Crisis.

G

correction:
"To date, we've limited Nook distribution to Barnes & Noble retail and online stores and" so far we sold like 15. And then we realized that we would be better off selling electronics in an electronics store.

figgus

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2010
"that the company's Nook ereader"

At first, I thought it said nookie reader... Would have made for a much more compelling product, imo!

Silmarunya

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
[citation][nom]jsc[/nom]Ho hum.I recently picked up a Samsung netbook for traveling. Has Win7 Starter. With Win7, you can hot key and rotate the screen 90 degrees. Rotate the netbook so the display is in portrait mode and the Page up and Down keys fall under your thumb. Perfect ebook reader.But it probably does not play Crisis.[/citation]

I don't know how much of a book lover you are, but I just couldn't imagine reading books on an LCD screen. Nothing beats the comfort of paper and ink, although E-ink is somewhat close. Sadly, intense wrestling matches with a book's spine and the sheer weight of a good fat book are big drawbacks. Where oh where is the promised E-reader that is comfortable, light weight and affordable?

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
I'll have to see on of these in person, but the price is pretty compelling. Does this accept other ebook formats or is it proprietary to their system? And do they have the Amazon-like ability to delete content off of my reader whenever they want?

G

I bought one last month and it is much easier on the eyes to read books, than on a backlit screen. I added a 16GB card and have more than enough storage room. Any book you purchase is then also able to be read on the B&N reader program on iPhones, PC's etc. Prices vary from free to an average of $10. The only downside I've found on any ereader, is you have to turn it off for takeoff and landing when flying. When they come out with color e-ink, that would be even better.

noneedformonkeys

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
B&N struck gold with this reader. I recently had the chance to demo a ~600$ kindle, a 400$ Sony eReader (there were four different models from Sony-- WTF?, they all sucked), and the ~400$ iRex reader. Of thses e-readers, the B&N nook is hands down the best experience. The nook really feels like it was developed directly from the customer complaints of the other e-readers; it's fast, easy to use/navigate, has a color user interface touchscreen, manages power very well, supports about every popular format (- iBook, - *.doc), allows book sharing with other nooks, is lightweight, you dont have to touch the e-paper to navigate (yeah -no annoying finger prints on the e-paper!), it's not associated with big brother Amazon meaning you own the purchased content (for now, we shall see if B&N makes the amazon misteak). The only complaint I have is the siginficantly slowed response time of the user screen when wifi is on (when it is just 3G there is no problem). For the price of one Amazon kindle, I bought two nooks (mine, and one for the wife :) ). Barnes&Noble must be counting on ebook revenue for selling such a great piece of technology for so cheap. The nook really make other e-readers feel like yesterday's tech.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
[citation][nom]xophaser[/nom]2gb? that is a lot more the the iPad 256mb of ram.[/citation]
No no, that's 2GB of flash storage (compared to the iPads 16/32/64 GB). However, since it is just an eReader, and not a super-sized iPod (though it does play mp3s), its more than enough space. Plus, unlike the iPad, it does have an microSDHC slot to expand on-board storage. But really, how many books does one person need stored on their nook at one time? I mean even a college student using this for textbooks wouldn't need more than a dozen books at a time (I have no idea how big e-Books are, but I imagine 2GB can hold quite a few books).

xophaser

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2007
hellwig,
my bad, 2gb of hard-drive space is a big joke to. I gust it can't do much. makes the iPad look like a good deal now.

kyeana

Distinguished
May 21, 2008
[citation][nom]xophaser[/nom]hellwig,my bad, 2gb of hard-drive space is a big joke to. I gust it can't do much. makes the iPad look like a good deal now.[/citation]

If you hate your eyes and want to punish them for some reason... ;)

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
[citation][nom]xophaser[/nom]hellwig,my bad, 2gb of hard-drive space is a big joke to. I gust it can't do much. makes the iPad look like a good deal now.[/citation]

You do realize that 2GB of space is enough for "1500 books", right? If you need more space, but a 16BG memory card for it for a few bucks and you can store 13500 books.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
How is this even comparable to an iPad? Its an ereader, not a tablet. The cheapest dell desktop is faster than an iPad, and cheaper too, and comes with a larger screen, so its better.

Status
Not open for further replies.