Best Buy Sued for Price Match Denial Policy

Status
Not open for further replies.

hotroderx

Distinguished
May 15, 2008
I might be a minority on this but I never had a problem with there price match ever will except when I asked them to price match Newegg they laughed at me then. But I find that or reps at the bestbuy around here are pretty busy with returns (don't know why they have such a high return rate). So I don't think they really mind price matching items my buggiest complaint is why they don't have prices listed on bestbuy.com in store other then that no complaints from me other then there extremely high prices but thats what price match fixes :D

chaosgs

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
Oh boy that brings back memories, We at circuit city did the same thing. Customer wanted a price match id go to the manager to have it done (i cant change prices), than he would go "we cant price match it that far", than id go "so what do i tell the customer" manager- "Tell them we cant do it". Me to the customer- "Unfortunately that is just to good of a deal, we would be losing a lot of money if we matched that" Customer- "Well why in the hell do you have that price matching sign for?", Me- "We do price match, just like Ive said we would be losing a lot of money on this particular price match".

Brings back old times, but yeah anytime Walmart made a deal on a TV, id have an angry customer breathing down my neck, than id try to persuade him to get a TV we had on sale which half the time worked. I miss working there.

chaosgs

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
You cant beat walmart price wise, its impossible, so Circuit city's advantage was customer service and expertise, you dont get customer service at walmart, no one expects customer service there (they expect 5 Star service at Circuit city though). Yeah some people have bad experiences at Circuit city customer service wise and i dont blame them, its managements fault. Though every day we would have a customer shit all over the floors and walls in the bathroom every day, every god damned day, and i mean every fucking day.

Best buy is going to go out of business in the next 5 years, worst customer service ever. Every manager there never does anything, making $100K salary plus sales bonuses, all he does is talk on a phone, the assistant manager smokes pot (he stinks of it and has fucked up pupples), while their employees goof off, circuit city wasnt great but never that bad (Walmart is even worse).

rooket

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
This is why I don't shop at best buy. Also they shot down my TV price match after telling me that the store would honor it if I brought my online printout with me. So I cancelled the order and bought at Circuit City. Circuit City was a WAY better store and it is a huge shame that they are gone. I won't send my business to best buy, I'll use amazon and buy.com instead.

PCfreak15

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2003
i work at best buy and haven't caught wind of this yet. price match policy as its implemented in our store is same exact product, same model sold at a retail store within 30 miles. we don't match online prices unless its bestbuy.com

i'd like to see a copy of this anti-price match policy. what are the actual details. this article only says that it exists but doesnt give any specifics.

not that I love best buy or anything, just working there till i finish my engineering degree.

danr22

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
I think the biggest problem with price matching is when people assume that any price can be matched. If you are looking to get a price matched at a retail store you can really only expect the store to match other nearby retail stores or the stores own website. That said I have never had a price match problem at Best Buy. I showed the associate the flyer and had the price matched on a stereo there within seconds

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
You haven't tried hard enough if you couldn't get Best Buy to price match. Of course they say no up front but there are definitely things you can do, deceptive or not, to get your price match.

engrpiman

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2006
Once I tried to get walmart to price walmart.com and they would not do it. I have gotten Bestbuy to price match Newegg though.

cletus_slackjawd

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2006
I'm a little sad to see CC go but they did rip me off once on an extended warranty I purchased for a laptop. The laptop hinges both started to crack (common problem on the model I had) and they denied fixing it saying it was cosmetic. I had it for a year, and babied it big time, ask and received a pro-rated return on my 3 year warranty. Best Buy may be bad but they are way better than Frys. Customer service there is non-existent save for the commissioned sales people at the motherboard/ram/CPU area.

G

PCfreak15 - Just a comment about matching product and model. Most big box stores have "custom" models made for them, thus you will never see a Sony Foo123 at Best Buy, but you'd carry the Sony Sony Bar123 which is just like the Sony Foo123.
Manufactures do this all the time, Costco, Sam's Club, BJ's, Wal-Mart, Target all have smae-but-different SKUs.
(And as bad as the electronics are, mattress are far, far worse.)

G

I was surprised when they price matched a plasma TV I bought there. I had in hand 2 online plices that had it or $400 dollars cheaper. I think it helped I bought the extended warranty at the time of purchase. If they would have refused the price match I would have just brought the TV back and ordered it from one of the other places that had it cheaper.

average joe

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2009
If you want great service and product knowledge you have to pay people an actual wage. When I worked retail over 10 years ago I was full commission and averaged about $23.00 an hour. I had clients who would order toners and such and I would personally just drop them off on my way home or at lunch. I would sell PC's and install the upgraded parts right on the floor and install them right there at the register. I had a client who I sold 175 computer to for a school district. I went to the school on a Saturday and helped him install them all into the labs. I saw my old job advertised in the paper it is now non commission and pays $8.00 an hour. You get what you pay for. The customer suffers, the employee suffers, and the company eventually dies so the current managers can earn bonus's on the short term numbers.

jwl3

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2008
Add me to the list - I took a Circuit City ad to a Best Buy (when CC was still in business) and they refused to match the price of my pc game - COD-WW. Their excuse was that the circuit city nearest to that particular Best Buy (on 86th Street in Manhattan) was closed and therefore, they were no longer a "competitor. " Are they insane? There are 4 other CC's within a 3 mile radius. The reason I wanted to get the item at BB was because CC was 15 more blocks away and I didn't want to walk. I ended up tossing the game back and buying it at amazon.com. BB is the worst - their prices were always higher than CC. Why would anyone ever shop there with amazon, newegg, and online retailers? That's why I absolutely hate Gov. Patterson and his idiotic amazon tax.

Status
Not open for further replies.