Best Buy Survey Describes $1499 42-inch Apple TV

Status
Not open for further replies.

billybobser

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
can combine a $500 screen and $500 htpc for a better quality and more open experience.

Granted, the Apple TV will be 'easier' to use and require little setting up. But then you could spend $500 for someone to do that and end up with a better product.

One final point, I doubt these TV's will be upgradeable, nor support 3d by the looks.

Target market then - rich imbeciles

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
You had me at "iTunes"...

/sarcasm
"Is Apple's new TV bound for Best Buy with a $1499 price tag?"
It probably is. What I would really want to see is the new Amoled-based screen, preferably on a LG or Samsung TV. They demoed that at CES. That's the TV I would get, instead of old tech in new shinny case.

billybobser

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
To add to what I said, I am eager to see a good implementation for the TV of tomorrow.

The TV serves little purpose these days beyong consuming ye olde tv channels/dvds, which for the most part (re: anyone technology inclined) is moving to people's pc's with large TVs/Monitors combined with online content, on demand.

So, question is, how does a new gen TV differentiate itself from a TV wired to a PC, and what does it do better?

This TV should be an all-in-one central hub for media (and games beyond Angry Turds) in the home, it's looking like a giant iphone however.

elcentral

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
[citation][nom]hardcore_gamer[/nom]Another iOverpriced I$hit.[/citation]
roffle my samsung 32 inch cost me the same and iwe yet to c a better screen and im extremly picky. altho if you go to plasma iwe seen a bit better so if its a bit off a upgrade id + the extra 10" id say its worth the money some whot.

molo9000

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
It's not unusual for companies to send out surveys regarding new products for customers to fill out.
It is for Apple.

This product makes no sense at all.
Makes much more sense for Apple to stick to the AppleTV box and content distribution and stay out of the TV business. It's a saturated market anyway. Low-margins, lots of competition. Why would Apple want to get into that?

EDVINASM

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011
Me happy with Sony 40" LCD 1080p I bought few months back for €450. And the Sandybridge config for gaming extra €750. Now convince me Apple you can do better for more money :)

9_breaker

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2011
[citation][nom]molo9000[/nom]It is for Apple.This product makes no sense at all.Makes much more sense for Apple to stick to the AppleTV box and content distribution and stay out of the TV business. It's a saturated market anyway. Low-margins, lots of competition. Why would Apple want to get into that?[/citation]

probably because they know they will sell .

AzJazz

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2009
It's pretty funny. I don't see anything significant that significantly "rewrites what a TV can do".

Store movies in the "cloud" that you purchased? I can already get movies streamed via Netflix/Blockbuster/Amazon.

"Can you imagine playing Angry Birds on a big screen?" NO. I Can't. If this is one of the biggest "selling points", it will be fun to watch Apple totally blow on iTV - again.

One bullet describes a generic flat screen TV. 3 bullets describe streaming content. One bullet describes using your iPhone as a remote (really?). Two bullets for using iOS/iOS apps. One for a camera/microphone. They even listed the price & size twice.

Best Buy's survey team must have been working overtime racking their brains to come up with more than 3 or 4 items to describe this revolutionary product.

Now, if iTV had something like Kinect built in to the set, and it was introduced it about 4 years ago, iTV would have totally captured a new market.

So far, though ... unimpressed.

G

Not a good move for Apple. People buy TV's every 10 yrs not every 2 yrs. Apple should stick to it's Apple TV set-top box. It seems Roku and Hulu are pulling ahead of them. I can't see Apple selling a TV for $500 bucks after the demand is low for their TV's. I am thinking this will never happen.

TeraMedia

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
The price seems accurate for a crApple product. The lack of best-in-breed features (3D? OLED / Crystal LED? 55 inch?) also seems accurate for crApple. The one thing that it has going for it is the integrated camera-mic-skype that enables it as a video conferencing tool for the family room, and even that really isn't a differentiator in today's market.

iDiots will flock to this iDiotbox like moths to flame. It will be sad to watch them burn.

Status
Not open for further replies.