Question Best Competitive Gaming Closed Back headphones

AuGZA

Honorable
Jul 22, 2013
Hi All,

I'm currently running a pair of Audio-Technica ATH-AD700X's and LOVE THEM. The massive soundstage and focus on Mids/Highs with understated Bass is great for PUBG, Rainbow 6 Siege and CSGO. Unfortunately my gaming space isn't always quiet.

So I'm reaching out to you guys. With a spending limit of $600, what Closed back / Noise isolating headphones should I buy? I'm also looking at a DAC/Amp combo to power them.

I've looked at the Beyerdynamic DT770 Pros, but the 80Ohm is considered a Bass cannon... which doesn't seem ideal for hearing footsteps.

Please help!

AuGZA

Honorable
Jul 22, 2013
I can't think of many closed back, bass lite headphones with the soundstage and imaging you're looking for. The ATH A1000Z and Monoprice M1060C come to mind as options. Then there's something like the Audeze Mobius. The reviews I've seen are quite good.

https://www.audeze.com/products/mobius-series/mobius-headphone

Yea, the soundstage of the AD700x is hard to beat.

I had a look at the Audeze Mobius, looks awesome but seems to have quality and noise isolation problems. Alternatively, you suggested the ATH A1000Z, how do you believe the ATH-A990Z Art Monitor or MSR7 would compare? What DAC/Amp would you suggest would power these headsets but still power the low impedance AD700x without issue?

D

Deleted member 217926

I don't have personal experience with any of the Audio Technica line. The AD2000X is on my list of headphones I'd like to try. It's a big list. :) You might try Head-Fi. There's not much of a headphone community here at Tom's Guide.

AS far as amps/DACs what's your budget? Desktop or portable or it doesn't matter?

Dizahsin (Dion)

Banned
BANNED
Feb 26, 2019
The best noise-isolating overall headphones are the Beyerdynamic DT 770 M 80. They have 80 Ohms, so I’m not sure if you want to give it a try, but they have excellent studio audio quality & they are closed back, noise-cancelling or noise-isolating.

UPDATED: 3/18/2019 10:00PM EST - Fixed Errors and revised text

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 217926

The best noise-isolating overall headphones are the Beyerdynamic DT 770 M 80. They have 250 Ohms, so I’m not sure if you want to give it a try but they sound legendary ?

Also, check out my latest Headset reviews! You can always find them here in the “Audio” section. Updated weekly! Stay tuned for a noise isolating headphone Review!

In Beyerdynamic DT 770 M 80 the 80 literally means 80ohm. Not 250. Also the DT770 in particular and the entire Beyer line in general are very V shaped with boosted bass which is exactly what the OP does NOT want.

Dizahsin (Dion)

Banned
BANNED
Feb 26, 2019
In Beyerdynamic DT 770 M 80 the 80 literally means 80ohm. Not 250. Also the DT770 in particular and the entire Beyer line in general are very V shaped with boosted bass which is exactly what the OP does NOT want.
Sorry. I’ve realized my mistakes, and I’ll fix it. I looked at a 250 Ohm and just assumed it was a DF 770 M 80. I didn’t reread it. I’ll make a review this week on closed-back and noise-isolating headphones. Just visit my page for Gaming Reviews & updates! Also, I hope I’m not breaking any rules of “Audio”. I’m just a small reviewer trying to grow. Thank you for realizing!

D

Deleted member 217926

If you want to post reviews on here we're glad to have you. If you link to external sites for self promotion or advertise yourself outside of this site it will be considered spam. :)

Dizahsin (Dion)

Banned
BANNED
Feb 26, 2019
If you want to post reviews on here we're glad to have you. If you link to external sites for self promotion or advertise yourself outside of this site it will be considered spam. :)
I have a question. Can I use links to websites like the original website or the Amazon / Amazon UK links? I only use it just for the reader to check out prices / read more about the Product, like Gaming Headsets. Sorry if I don’t respond now, I have to go, but I’ll read tomorrow. Thanks, moderator! ? (also, I’ll be doing reviews on Headsets, headphones, audiophile headphones, keyboards, Mouses, controllers, etc.)

Dizahsin (Dion)

Banned
BANNED
Feb 26, 2019
I have a question. Can I use links to websites like the original website or the Amazon / Amazon UK links? I only use it just for the reader to check out prices / read more about the Product, like Gaming Headsets. Sorry if I don’t respond now, I have to go, but I’ll read tomorrow. Thanks, moderator! ? (also, I’ll be doing reviews on Headsets, headphones, audiophile headphones, keyboards, Mouses, controllers, etc.)
Also, what does my role mean if it’s “great”? Does it compare to other roles?

D

Deleted member 217926

Yep you can link to product pages or sites like Amazon. I'd even encourage it. What we wouldn't accept would be something like "check out more at Dion's website at xxx ... XXX". Nothing that can be considered self promotion.

The Great tag is based on how many points you have. We just moved to Xenforo after years on a proprietary forum platform so I'm not actually sure at what point total that tag will change. More about the point system here:

Looking forward to some audiophile headphone reviews. Obviously it's a topic I'm fond of. :p

Dizahsin (Dion)

Banned
BANNED
Feb 26, 2019
Yep you can link to product pages or sites like Amazon. I'd even encourage it. What we wouldn't accept would be something like "check out more at Dion's website at xxx ... XXX". Nothing that can be considered self promotion.

The Great tag is based on how many points you have. We just moved to Xenforo after years on a proprietary forum platform so I'm not actually sure at what point total that tag will change. More about the point system here:

Looking forward to some audiophile headphone reviews. Obviously it's a topic I'm fond of. :p
Thank you! I’ll make audiophile headphones reviews, too. Also, I recently made a new gaming headset review, can you check it out and make sure it’s okay?