Best custom configurable laptop available in the market today ?

zshanthi

Honorable
Apr 8, 2012
Hello Everyone

In case of a desktop say I want to increase the RAM I buy a 4GB ram and insert it myself and I get a 8GB machine, say I want more graphics power I get a graphics card and insert it myself. I don't want to compare apples to oranges but is there a laptop series or a laptop manufacturer dell, acer, hp, samsung, etc and etc which has some semblance of user custom configurable components in its laptop ? In the minimum ability to upgrade RAM or change HDD or in some cases even change motherboard or processor or change keyboard etc separately.

In other words according to you experts, which are all the most custom configurable laptops available in the market today ?

Thanks a bunch

Shanthi

Deemo13

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2011
Most of the ones that are custom are stupidly expensive for the ones that you want to change the graphics card out of. Its one of the main reasons we all go for PC for the upgradeability.

Many laptops allow you to change the hard drive and the RAM, but newer computers are actually becoming more set in stone. My ASUS Vivobook has soldered in RAM, and the hard drive can only be a certain size.

zshanthi

Honorable
Apr 8, 2012

Yes correct. I just want to know whether any other brand of laptop or series of laptop supports more customization than just RAM and HDD. Thanks

corsairmaster

Honorable
Aug 5, 2012
Surprisingly, the non-Retina MacBook Pro is pretty configurable. You can add up to 16GB of DDR3 1600MHZ Ram. The thing I did was to take out the useless optical drive (DVD) put the stock hard-drive in there and put in my own 120GB SSD.

Since laptops have so many different chassis designs, there is only one motherboard for each laptop model. The motherboard that was specifically designed that laptop. There is no Gigabyte or Asus laptop mobo you can simply buy and drop into any laptop you want.

There are very few laptops that allows you to upgrade the GPU. They typically cost over $1,300 and only specific models. A $3,000 laptop does not mean you will be able to upgrade it's GPU.

The Sager NP8265 (Clevo P150SM chassis) is an example of a laptop that will allow you to upgrade the GPU. Since laptop GPUs are not sold to the general public you would likely need to buy the GPU upgrade in the future from the same company you bought the laptop from.

http://www.xoticpc.com/sager-np8265-clevo-p150sm-p-6198.html?wconfigure=yes