best free antivirus?

groo

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2008
Avast would become a resourse hog, so I switched to AVG, now they are stopping suport for the freebe version.

whats next?

lolitha

Distinguished
May 24, 2006
I think Avira is better than both , I have used all three. To me itis 1 Avira 2 AVG and then avast
http://www.avira.com/en/downloads/

groo

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2008
I'm using Avira now. it seams pretty good. but because of the popup adds, I don't think I'd use it on the computer illiterates computers I'm always setting up. I might even dump it myself and try one of the others you suggest.

MaD

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2008
I use Kaspersky, i havnt really noticed any difference in speed since i installed it, when i first downloaded it it kept screaming at me "literally" cos i had viruses, but once that had died down it was quite good, i havnt really touched it since then exept to update my licence.
I havnt tried it, i might on my next computer though, Shield Deluxe, was voted the best antivirus program on a number of websites, you might want to check that out as well.

Canuck1

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2007
Is AVG really cancelling its free version?

If not, which is better out of AVG, Avast and Avira? Or is there any other free antivirus programs out there that are decent?

I found AVG to often have problems crop up or cases in which it would not download the latest updates. Also, there would be errors to go along with that.

Avast was okay but the GUI it uses is not my favourite, let me put it that way.