best free antivirus.

jimakos101

Honorable
Nov 21, 2012
Would you recommand me to download the AVG free antivirus or the Avira?i have 4gb of ram so i dont want the antivirus to eat it all,the system is used for games.

Solution
I've experimented with quite a few free Antivirus before settling on a paid version. AVG isn't as good as Avira which in turn isn't as good as Avast. Download MalwareBytes as well.

MeteorsRaining

Estimable
Jul 27, 2014
I've experimented with quite a few free Antivirus before settling on a paid version. AVG isn't as good as Avira which in turn isn't as good as Avast. Download MalwareBytes as well.

Solution

Xyos

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2009

^This. Big fan of Avast. I use paid, but free is just as good. Like its been mentioned get Malwarebytes anti-malware as well, hell I would even get Spybot too. Run all 3 once every 2 months.

Yes, Avast is definitely better than AVG, plus AVG can add considerably to Windows startup time on some systems, I've proved that while fixing a friends PC that was taking ages to bring up Windows after he had installed AVG. I uninstalled AVG and installed Avast instead. Startup time back to normal.

Another I can recommend is Comodo Antivirus which I run on three computers. Never had any issues with it & never had an infection:
https://www.comodo.com/home/internet-security/antivirus.php?track=2738&key5sk0=2128&key5sk1=d7462280a6b82cb42c185374b0736bc7076715d5

It just proves that you don't have to pay for good virus protection unless you want to feel superior and have money to burn.