Best free game engine

tadej petric

Honorable
Feb 9, 2013
Anyone knows good free game engine to make games as good or better than GTA 3. Will not sell it for money; only for me, friends and if it works gr8 than Ill upload it on internet for free download.
Not top priority but can you guys find one that doesnt need web connection to work (does cryengine 2 need internet to work?).
And will this game engine work good with gtx 660, i5 3470 (or haswell) and 8 Gb of ram?

Solution
I do apologize, I just wanted to ensure you weren't someone starting fresh without knowledge of what's realistic.

Anyways, I'd personally think that UDK is going to be your best bet.

DarkSable

Honorable
Sep 27, 2012
I... Uhm... Well, there was my laugh for the day. :)

If you find a GOOD game engine, you'll be able to make games like those you'd find on flash game websites... after several months of work. GTA 3 is a little out of reach, especially when you consider that at the time, it probably took server farms running 24/7 to work on it.

I suggest you go research homebrew game design and come back with slightly more realistic requests so that you don't get disappointed and frustrated at trying to do something you can't.

tadej petric

Honorable
Feb 9, 2013

lol just with looks of gta 3. Not planing of any AI only physis will be that person (which is probably going to look like three rounded cubes that looks like a snowman) sticks to ground hehe. Something like target range at first. No missions and area of about 100m2. And GTA III had 10 year anniversery couple years ago (and R* said thay had small crew). GTA III is way out of my goal anyway.

I have time to work (1.5-2 years) so its not rushed and Ill have two or three friends helping me (maybe).

For ''good'' game engines Im looking at UDK and CryEngines (theyre free :) ) and maybe Unity 3D. Will see which one of this or any other (thats point of this thread)

Ooh and I already made two or three of this flash games in a week or two (looked like GTA 1). Now why shouldnt I go step higher.

And in the end Im happy to made you laughing (that wasnt point but still)

DarkSable

Honorable
Sep 27, 2012
I do apologize, I just wanted to ensure you weren't someone starting fresh without knowledge of what's realistic.

Anyways, I'd personally think that UDK is going to be your best bet.

Solution

tadej petric

Honorable
Feb 9, 2013

No need to apologize :)

UDK it is than :)