Best Gaming Desktops 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nahkman

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Jaysus, look at those insane prices, I just built my own PC with Asus Maximus IV hero, i5 4670K, custom cooler for clocking 3tb hdd and crucial 480gb SSD, 8gb ram and GTX770 OC DCII, SeaSonic x-series 850W PSU and a fractal design case and it cost me 1400eur which is roughly 1900USD

D

Deleted member 1353997

I bought my rig 10% cheaper than that "Best Overall Gaming Desktop: CyberPowerPC Gamer Supreme Desktop ($2,229)" and though it's only got an i7 3770K and a GTX 680, it's still got a 128 GB SSD on top of having a 2 TB HDD, and it's got twice the RAM. Considering I bought it in January 2013, when the 4930K and the GTX 780 didn't exist, I'd say my desktop's got more value than that one. Granted, I don't have liquid cooling, but my PC is cool and quiet enough for me not to care about liquid cooling anyways.

DarkSable

Honorable
Sep 27, 2012
Why in the WORLD are you recommending these things?Something that pairs an i7 and a GTX 760 is an awful idea, when the i7 gives no benefit over an i5, which would give you $100 more to buy at least a 770.None of these have any comparison to what a similarly-performing computer would cost if you put it together from parts, and none of them go into any detail on part selection - meaning that someone who doesn't know computers, reading this article, would get the notions in their head that we on the forums try so desperately to correct. (Such as a mainstream i7 being better than an i5 for gaming, or 16GB of RAM being better than 8GB for gaming.)

Jim90

Honorable
Feb 3, 2013
"Best Gaming Desktops" appearing in Tom's makes absolutely no sense....ok...apart from 'entertainment' value.The Best Gaming Desktop is always (skill-base assumed) the one you build yourself. Any reader contemplating purchasing a pre-build will not be visiting Tom's.

Avenger762

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2008
I can't believe that they recommend so many PC's that don't have SSD's. Having a pair in Raid0 really speeds up all of my level load times and eliminates any storage bottleneck.

wussupi83

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2009
I['m going to agree with the rest of the comments, this seems like a shameful affiliate plug for some poorly priced machines. I suppose that retail gaming computers aren't the best deals vs DIY but from a tech guide website standpoint, recommending these seems wrong.

eodeo

Distinguished
May 29, 2007
Similarly configured desktops from vendors such as Origin cost as much as $800 more. This rig is a steal.
It's a poorly merged workstation and gaming computer at a ridiculous price points. It's a highway robbery, not a steal- for the computer illiterate.
Acer Predator AG3 ($959)
another good example of overbuilt CPU and underperforming GPU. It's a less mixed bag then the system above, but hardly any sane knowledgeable gamer would recommend. Still, a respectable price point.
Best High-End Gaming Desktop: Origin Genesis ($1,875)
Bah! Who designs this machines? Apple geniuses? Damn. So much fail.
Best Budget Gaming Desktop: Lenovo IdeaCentre Desktop ($599)
Best waste of perfectly good 600$ if you plan to game. Overqualified CPU with entry level GPU- just what a gamer wants.
Best AMD GPU-Powered Gaming Desktop: Avatar Gaming i7-37GT ($1,009)
a 3GB AMD HD 7950 graphics card – on a par with Nvidia's GeForce GTX 660 Ti.I'm seriously starting to think that this is an Apple ad for Mac pro written by an Apple genius. (7950 is gtx 670/760 equivalent to all who care)David Eitelbach, are you an Apple emplyee? More specifically an apple genius?

Mark Spoonauer

Editor-in-Chief
Jan 21, 2014
Thanks for your comments. While you can certainly get great bang for your buck from gaming rigs you can build yourself, we selected these desktops based on what they offer to those in the market for systems they can use to play the latest games out of the box. Over time we will be reviewing gaming desktops using many of the same tests developed by sister site Laptopmag.com, as well as those developed by Tom's Hardware to give you the most thorough evaluations and recommendations. If you have any suggestions for rigs to review we welcome additional feedback.

DarkSable

Honorable
Sep 27, 2012
we selected these desktops based on what they offer to those in the market for systems they can use to play the latest games out of the box.
...no. No you didn't. I don't know what criteria you used (though I suspect it was who gave you perks for recommending their computer) but it was NOT, as we've pointed out, their gaming capabilities.Our issue with these things is not JUST that they're miserable flops compared to a homebuilt computer. It's that they're miserable flops period, which are designed only to impress the computer illiterate and screw them out of as much money as possible. They don't use parts that make a good, efficient gaming computer, they use parts that make an efficient profit. End of story.

wtfxxxgp

Honorable
Nov 14, 2012
I agree with a lot of the comments about this being a "paid for" advertisement, however, it is also about what's out there to buy "off the factory floor" if you will. I've looked for decent gaming machines before that aren't ridiculously over-priced and that's why, like many of you, I've always ended up buying individual components and building the machine up myself. Some people have money and don't care much about the price they're paying for the convenience of not having to think too much or set up a PC for themselves. So this is clearly for them... not us.

edrt2

Honorable
Jan 23, 2014
I absolutely love this program, it's actualy the most financially rewarding I've ever had. You can work where ever, when ever, and as much as you want. Earn up to $100 in a day, pretty cool!! I can't believe how easy it was once I tried it out. Linked here Pow6.com

Status
Not open for further replies.