Best Gaming Keyboards 2014 (Archive)

Status
Not open for further replies.

larsoncc

Honorable
Nov 1, 2013
I have the BlackWidow and I think it's fantastic. Before that, I bought a keyboard very similar to the CM Storm QuickFire Rapid (QuickFire TK). While I loved the mechanical keys, I just could not get over the fact that I had to hit a button to switch between arrows and 10-key. I took it back for the Black Widow, and I am really happy with the results.

Timendo

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2010
Really, the amount of Razer, they're overpriced imo.Also, Sidewider best budget gaming keyboard? What about Corsair Raptors K30/K40?

athlon7750

Honorable
Jan 1, 2014
How much did Razer pay you for this article?
They sell themselves cheap. It's usually just the reviewed products that they get to keep and nothing more. Razer sends them some KB's today and they're the best. Tomorrow, another company sends them some other keyboards and they become the best.

Red_Frog

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2005
Nothing new beats the responsiveness of classic PS/2 keyboards.
This. Who needs hyperesponse or megams, or whatever silly name these guys come up with next for advertising their USB overclocking method on a keyboard when you have a direct line to 09h and n-key rollover. I don't have time to wait for USB.

Eliminati

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2008
The SteelSeries Merc Stealth is the only keyboard I have EVER seen to have a side area with the WASD layout, with 1-6 and 7-11 right above it. It is PERFECT for MMO, FPS, regular RPG (Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Witcher types). All of the keys are positioned just right. It has a backlight, has great sounding keys (though not mechanical), and durable.The only problem is that they discontinued it but they are still on Amazon and eBay for sixty bucks. I will probably get another just to have a backup.No one else makes one like this, and I don't want a stand-alone WASD-like mini-keyboard.

chugot9218

Honorable
May 8, 2012
I don't know why people complain about Razer, it's a bit expensive but it's not like they are billing themselves as cheap. I have a Razer Naga Hex and the Razer Tiamat 2.2, which I bought after I bought the Black Widow, to me they were worth the premium for their features and it looks cool. Why dog on a company that is specifically trying to cater to gamers?

Dom_79

Honorable
Nov 4, 2012
Might be nice to specify that the K-70 with Red LEDs is the only one of the series released together that hasn't been EOL'd (End Of Life).
P.S.: Sorry to everyone who got/is getting shafted by Corsair with being forced to take a black keyboard with Red LEDs. Or if you complain enough a black keyboard with White LEDs that also fail.

Ninjawithagun

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2007
Every single keyboard shown here are BORING!! When is a real next-generation ergonomic AND moular keyboard and game controller combo setup going to be released that allows for the gamer to configure it based upon their gaming style? Also, the option for changing the LED backlight (16 million colors!) should be standard on all keyboards by now. Let's stop living in the 20th Century. It's time to start innovating agan!

jpishgar

VP, Global Community
Jan 5, 2010
How much did Razer pay you for this article?

No one paid us for this article. There are articles/white papers/advertorials we get paid for, but those are clearly indicated and marked as such, and we don't sell review ranks. Tom's has a very longstanding history of being the site that doesn't care whether or not you'll pull your ad money if we tell the truth about your product. It's how we made our bones in the first place way back in the day with the CPU reviews and all the pay for play that was going around. We don't play around with our core essence like that.

At least the editorial/news guys don't. Me, well I'm in Community and I don't write hardware reviews. I'm super open to big checks and goodies. :p

They sell themselves cheap. It's usually just the reviewed products that they get to keep and nothing more. Razer sends them some KB's today and they're the best. Tomorrow, another company sends them some other keyboards and they become the best.

The editorial/news guys aren't for sale. You can send them a product to review, but it goes into a pool, and the pool is reserved for future reviews so we can compare the future stuff with the past stuff. Which company sends us what isn't a determining factor in anything. If an OEM is smart, it'll send us their latest product, our guys review it, and the thing goes into the pool. If an OEM isn't smart, but a bunch of you guys are asking for us to review something, a lot of times the guys will pester the OEM to send us a product to review, and in other cases, we'll just go out and buy one. Either or, the result is the same.

-JP

Gee Bee

Honorable
Jan 16, 2014
I use a Roccat Ryos MK Pro and one month in it is imo better than my razor ultimate stealth. The per lighting is useful to, not just for good looks. it cost about the same as my razor. I even swapped my razor naga for a kone i was so impressed by the ryos.

Freeseus

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2007
I have the BlackWidow Ultimate at work. I took a while to decide between it and the Corsair k70 vengeance. I preferred the look of the vengeance, particularly the rounded WSAD keys, but I ended up getting a blackwidow as I was able to test it out at Best Buy.

For typing, it's a dream. I like the mechanical sound although some others may find it to be too loud. Best keyboard I've ever owned. Also, the audio jack in the side is one of the first ones that actually doesn't have any static or hiss to it when you plug your headphones into it.

I get a lot of comments on it.

Happy Raj

Estimable
Dec 27, 2014
5 most top rated keyboards for gaming 2015

http://www.techpanorma.com/5-most-top-rated-mechanical-keyboards-for-gaming-2015/

tboy123

Estimable
Jan 22, 2015
I would say the Corsair keyboard is garbage, I had one and it caused me nothing but issues, go search their forums and you will see its not just me with the issues. I returned it and got the Razer one.
Corsair just rushed out their keyboard, it doesnt even truely display 16.8mil colors like they claim, yet, but supposedly an update is coming 'in the future'...

Status
Not open for further replies.