Best gaming laptop for 800$s?

algar32

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2010
I want something that is a good deal that I get alot of bang for my buck. I want to be able to play modern games for a couple of years. I need this for school and understand that battery life is something I need to take into consideration? Don't most modern laptops have the ability to switch to onboard graphics when not gaming. And while gaming they will use my gpu? Also I will be plugging my laptop in while gaming anyway.

tonync_01

Honorable
Feb 18, 2012
$800 would be a bit a on the low end for a gaming laptop, but your best choice at that price would be to get one of the laptops with the AMD trinity APU. A laptop with the A10 processor has graphics equivalent to about a Radeon HD 6670, you should be able to play most games on low to medium settings.

algar32

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2010

Okay does everyone agree this is a pretty good option? I was considering the new m11x, but I think I would just be paying for the alienware (dell) brand right?

Seti18

Honorable
May 9, 2012
I was in the same situation as you a few weeks ago and went with the Toshiba P750-BT4G22: http://www.toshibadirect.com/td/b2c/cdetland.to?poid=2000016420

Every other week it goes up in price by about $100 from its current price and in every other week from that it goes back down to its current $769 base price. It comes with a GeForce GT540m, a mid-range laptop GPU, an i7-2670qm, an all-around fast laptop processor, and 8 GBs of RAM for no additional cost. I've been testing it out for almost a week, since I obtained it myself, and it's a fantastic overall laptop. The screen resolution (1366x768) isn't too great, but it's good (and it's not as though gaming laptops in the price range generally do well at higher resolutions anyway), the laptop is pretty good at anything I ever need to do, and though its gaming capabilities are (understandably) not amazing, it's well-cooled for a laptop (unlike other budget gaming laptops, i.e. anything Acer) it's fast enough that it can run most things playably (25-30 fps minimum), at one setting or another, it's sharp-looking, and it's overall a fantastic laptop. I recommend upgrading to a 7200rpm HDD, regardless of size, and the backlit keyboard for an additional ~$40 total to really see the laptop's potential. In the price range ($800), you won't find much better. A drawback might be the somewhat short battery life, assuming you only buy the base battery model available, but with eco mode on, it'll last ~5 hours while just typing, according to my battery icon's estimates and an additional battery can always be bought later if necessary.

My own tests show that is certainly outdoes either current-gen "serious" console, if that reference point means anything, and will max out BioShock (at native resolution, with V-sync, and without forced global lighting) at a good 55-60 fps during most gameplay with drops to about 48/49 while under great stress, the first Witcher on max settings with 2xAA at roughly 40-50 fps, Mount and Blade: Warband on max everything with Vsync and 8xAA at 40-60 fps unless in the middle of a large battle, it'' blow Minecraft out of the park with, far and beyond, higher than 60 fps regardless of what you do, and really just about any game from 2007 and below with 45-60 fps depending on game/if you go crazy like me and apply 8xAA with unnecessarily high-detail shadows :)P) and it can play mostly anything up to 2010 reasonably well (30-40 fps doable with medium-ish settings). Though I haven't tried it myself, I hear it can also run modern games such as Skyrim (expect about 30-ish fps on a mix of low and medium settings, reportedly). Anyway, it's a decent card and the laptop itself is overall a pretty good deal for the price which I'm very happy with. Here's some more information on the GT 540m, the GPU itself:

http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GT-540M.41715.0.html

Edit: Though the things I've noticed can vary a decent but from what's been said on that site I linked. Their approximation for Just Cause 2 is way off, for example... this laptop definitely runs Just Cause 2 well, from my experience, and Risen/Metro 2033 don't run quite as fast for me as they say there, though I'm not sure which resolutions they're playing at which makes a difference. Also, the 650m mentioned in an above post is faster and though the 540m is decent, its weaknesses guarantee that it doesn't have much lastability, but with an $800 budget, you're going to be making some compromises with GPUs stronger than about a 540m. I'm personally skeptical of the above HP laptop because for the price and specs, I'm willing to bet it's not the most reliable laptop, as in it's not going to the best-cooled. That's just my gut feeling, as it's a business model both Acer and HP have a reputation of doing, and the HDD on that thing is probably 5400rpm, which is a bit slower. It's almost too good to be true, basically, is what I'm thinking, but as far as pure specs go, it's a steal for the price. Oh, and yes, Alienware is an overpriced brand that charges extra simply for being Alienware. In addition, Sony also tend to overcharge for their laptops. HP and Acer tend to cut corners in order to provide a competitive price for given specs. Asus and Toshiba are in a nice sweetspot, currently, where they tend to provide really good value for the price while maintaining reliability, in my opinion. Of course, there are exceptions to everything.

algar32

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2010

Thanks for your advice. I will look into it. I personally have had huge issues with toshiba in the past and recieved no support, but that is just my experience and this laptop is for a friend anyway. Like I said I was considering the m11x, but was wandering if I would be just paying for the brand name? I want something with the optimus nvidia technology that automatically switches from gaming mode to just regular in order to save battery. Any advice?

edit1754

Distinguished
May 14, 2012
The HP DV6-7000 and the Toshiba P750 are not a particularly good options because they come with 15.6" 1366x768 displays. These types of displays make things onscreen large, and tend to have very poor image quality due to low contrast. Avoiding this type of display is advisable when it is reasonable to do so, and if you don't require larger text for eyesight-related reasons.

The HP DV6-6C53NR comes with an AMD Radeon 7690M XT and a 15.6" 1920x1080 display, and is one of the best options for $800: http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msstore/en_US/pd/HP-Pavilion-dv66c53nr/productID.243730200

Remember to go into the BIOS and change the switchable graphics setting from DYNAMIC to FIXED.

biearthquake

Honorable
Nov 19, 2012

Now more products provide adjusting consoles for users to switch working graphics chips from one to another, so don't need to worry about it; As to battery life the aspect, you may find it easier while looking for laptops among those heavier ones: that may suggest bigger battery capacity, or at least stronger internal structure. Since external supply will be availble while gaming, issues above are not that serious. So, within the tolerance of your budget, just be free to take one that carries the highest gpu & looks most appealing to you. Here you can see gaming laptops under the price of $800 http://gaminglaptophome.com/best-gaming-laptop-under-800-dollars