Best gaming laptop for under $2,000

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kryptosis

Honorable
Feb 13, 2012
Hi guys,

I'm in the market for a new laptop. I've been looking for the last two weeks to find the best build for the money. I can be swayed to spend a little more or a little less. I'm not the best with upgrading / installing parts although it is attractive to have a laptop that things can be upgraded on. Below are some of the things I'm looking for in the laptop. I'd really appreciate any advice.

Price Range:
$1500-$2000

Screen size:
15" and up

Screen Resolution:
Would hope for 1900x1200 (will make exceptions for better parts)

Processor Type:
Intel i7 or greater

Graphics Card preference:
Nvidia or AMD, doesn't matter much to me and I'm willing to try SLI or Xfire

Ram Minimum:
I'm hoping for at least 12gb

Does this need to be mobile:
Not really, I won't be leaving the house (I have to play in the living room on the couch to make the wife happy.)

Will this be on a desk or a lap?:
Lap, I'm also in the market for a good cooler, I currently run a 17" 8 pound laptop that runs way to hot.

Laptop Maker Preference:
None except I probably don't want to go with Asus (only because they only seem to support single 560m or lower)

Are you willing to order online?:
yes

Hard drive preference:
I've never done a Raid 0 system but I wouldn't cry if I lost all the data on my laptop (have backup external drives) I also have never done a SSD.

What games are you intending on playing?:
I mainly play MMOs, addicted to SWTOR and for see Guild wars 2 in my future. (Looking for max settings on SWTOR in Ilum PVP zone, yes I know not even the best desktops can eliminate the lag their completely due to poor coding)

Warranty?:
In all the laptops I've bought I've never had to do a warranty exchange, I do prefer the security of having one of some sort though.

PreOverclocked?
I've never overclocked anything and would be worried I would break it but I don't mind others doing it.

Windows preinstall?
yes ( I know I know, I'm so lazy, if it’s a must to get the most I could look at doing without)

What laptops have you looked at for the past two weeks?

MSI GT780DXR-466US
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834152301

Sager NP8180 (from powernotebooks or xoticpc) (they both appear to have stopped dual 6990m support)
http://www.xoticpc.com/sager-np8180-clevo-p180hm-p-3250.html?wconfigure=yes

Sager NP8150 (from powernotebooks or xoticpc)
http://www.powernotebooks.com/Sager-NP8150-gaming-laptops-notebooks-sys-3740.html

Again guys thank you for all your help!

Bolo_

Estimable
Oct 20, 2014
Here's something with basically everything you requested, except the resolution (1920 x 1080), and going for around $1700. ASUS ROG G750JS-DS71 17-inch Laptop: Intel Core i7-4700HQ 2.4Ghz (Turbo 3.4 GHz), 16 GB DDR3 RAM, 17.3-inch screen, GeForce GTX 870M 3GB, 1TB 7200 rpm Hard Drive, 256 GB Solid-State Drive. Its the perfect machine for gaming.

Hope this has been of some help

Status
Not open for further replies.