Best headphones for a gaming / music setup?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

nguyenantho123

Estimable
Nov 9, 2014
Hi, I was just curious to find a good pair of headphones that I can use for some medium / light gaming as well as for listening to music.

I have browsed around at the Audio-Technica ATH-M50x, as well as the Sennheiser HD 598SE's.
I don't mind any amount of bass, but I have no idea how to make my decision. I listen to majorily EDM and indie music, if that helps.

Solution

The 558s are great headphones but I don't think they quite match up the AD 700x. A good part of that is going to come down to whether or not you like Sennheiser's classic "warm" sound compared to audio technica's V-like frequency response. The other part is that the AD 700x just have more detail in the sound they produce.

They are basically the same thing, but 598 are full metal construction, and SE version adds two optional cable lengths (standard 3m 6mm plug type and 1.2m 3.5mm plug type). You probably were reading stuff about the HD595 vs 598 rather than 558 vs 598

nguyenantho123

Estimable
Nov 9, 2014
So, in the end, going with the 558's and a ModMic sounds like a good idea now. I've seen that the 558's output with a 1/4 and have a separate 3.5mm jack you can connect to it. Would it be worth my time getting a 2.5 to 3.5 cable if I plan on using this for my computer?

Sure, but I suggest getting cables meant for the set. BH sells them for fairly cheap

nguyenantho123

Estimable
Nov 9, 2014

I was looking at this.