Best Headphones Headset for under $1000.00

mcontreras12

Estimable
Jan 12, 2016
I have a budget of $1000.00 for a nice pair of Head phones or Headset please send me recomendations if a headphone is decided I will need a Good mic as well I do Broacat on Twitch and my favorite Games are Call of duty I do have a sound card that I would love to use paired with the headset/Headphones

USAFRet

Illustrious

Specifically, which sub-$1000 headphones have you used that fail to meet your specs and tastes?

If you are looking for audio at that level, surely you've tried many others and found them lacking.

mcontreras12

Estimable
Jan 12, 2016
Im not in to music, I just game thats all.
Currently Im using PC363D But not happy at all anymore with Senheisser lately all these headsets after a couple years they started to fail.
So this time I wanna spend spme good money.
Every time I buy a headset I spend around $300.00 and have to change them to soon

rwpritchett

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
You'd better just ignore the Sennheiser Orpheus 2 that was recently unveiled. LOL

What exactly is failing on your headsets? Earpads? Cables? Drivers?

Some of the most durable headphones are the ones that studios use and they typically come with replaceable parts. Beyerdynamic is a good example. Maybe you should check out their MMX 300 headset. Another less-known newcomer to the "audiophile" headset market is the Feenix Aria.

That said, if you're planning to drop that much cash on a headset, I highly recommend you try to listen to them in person before committing to buy... or purchase from somewhere that has a good return policy.

BlueFireZ

Estimable
$1000 is huge amount of money for headphones.

Since you haven't tried out higher end headphones, it wouldn't hurt to go to a store and give a $200-$300 pair of headphones a try, especially from companies like Sennheiser, Beyerdynamic, Audio Technica, and AKG. You'll probably see great sound quality in them which you usually don't find in headsets. For a mic I'd just pick up a Audio Technica AT2020 USB or a Blue Yeti since your only going to be doing basic twitch broadcasting and talking.

Hope this Helps!

mcontreras12

Estimable
Jan 12, 2016

Is the Volume knob back on PC350 they had it right on the cable I kind of dislike it and no even 2 years after my Purchase they Volume Knob started to fail but the worst part was that started making a kind of weird cracking noise and after and you had to play around with you volume knob to kind of take that noise out, eventually I replaced them with PC360 wich had the knob on the actual Ear speaker, after exactly two years failed, called sennheiser and told me that I could send them to get fixed to an authorized place or buy a new one wich I did bought the PC363 D and Im having the same issue, I have run it different rigs over the same lapse of time so I figured was the headset, the funny part is that I bough a chipper for my wife's (cuz she chose those ) and they haven't giver her a problem lol Logitech Brand.

Thanks in advance for all the suggestions.

As far as Me trying them before I buy them that will be seet however the stores near me like Best Buy or Microcenter doesnt have High end Headsets or Headphones .

Any other way to get them and try the before Ill buy them?

RazerZ

Honorable
Herald
Aug 18, 2013
You could see if there is a head-fi meet near your area. I would double check your Best Buy and see if it has a Magnolia section. The high end headphones are usually hidden somewhere in the back. Guitar Center usually carries a few mid range studio monitors as well. Another option would be to google your city+ "hifi store" and see if anything pops up. Most specialty stores usually focus on speaker systems instead of headphones though.

You could also buy from an online retailer with a good return policy.

If you were to use a pair of headphones with a headphone amp or audio interface you could control the volume via volume pot (physical knob) which would be more fail-safe.

shotgunz

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2011
Sennheiser HD800 owner here, this might sound crazy but the main reason i spent over $1000 for that headphone was for the comfort. YES, THE COMFORT. But really, the moment i first tried these headphones I was sold, didn't even need to plug them in cause mad comfortable. It really seems like they leave the best engineering and ergonomics for their top of the line products as the headphones don't touch my ears and are comfortable to sleep with on and wake up the next morning without any discomfort. The earcups are very deep, the pads are huge and sort of suspended so they mould to your head's shape very well.

Anyways for the build quality there's no buttons or anything that can break easily as it's made in Germany with high grade plastics and steel except there's some metal mesh on the ear cups that might get punctured if something stabs it hard enough. All the pads are removable/washable and replacement parts are available.

For the sound, I'll keep it short, you just hear everything. Has the largest soundstage of any headphone, good positioning and very fast transient response lets you pinpoint enemies in games and hear every instrument clearly. It has the least "in your head" feeling of all the audiophile headphones.

It started being available in 2009 and recently Sennheiser released the HD800S, they fixed the main problem with the HD800 which was the elevated 6khz region. I EQ mine down at 6kz and it sounds fine as long as the EQ can target 6khz and doesn't distort the sound much. Some people are selling their HD800's for the newer version if you don't mind using EQ so you might get a pair at a good price like $800-ish or lower.

What city do you live in? We could help find some audio stores that have high end headphones for you to demo.

After reading that review, I actually think is not a crazy amount to spend on headphones. If only that 1.5 billion power ball did not get away from me! There are guitars that can reach that high, pianos, speaker sets, why not headphones.

BlueFireZ

Estimable

That actually makes sense

shotgunz

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2011
"New York - New York City: B&H Photo, 420 9th ave, NY. 5 minute walk from Penn Station. Please look up store hours before visiting, they're closed on Saturday"

"New York - New York City: AC Gears, 69 E. 8th Street. Sennheiser, Grado, HiFiMan, Shure, Audio-Technica, Beyerdynamic, RHA, Etymotic. They have both over ear and IEMs to try. They clean the tips or even provide new ones for IEM sampling."

These two stores are fairly close together and are about a 40min drive away from where you work but...

I'd recommend you go ask at https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/ buying $1000+ headphones is completely normal here and people don't freak out. Here's the daily purchase thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/412nsd/daily_headphone_purchase_advice_thread_20160115/

But seriously guys, we all love it when a $1000 PC goes 60+ FPS on ultra. The correct pair of $1000 headphones gives you the same result but in audio quality.

nicolatesla

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009

STAX HEADPHONES
Anybody who appreciates headphones enough to spend $1000, needs STAX headphones.
You should spend more and get better headphones.
Seriously: these things sound unbelievable. You just need to try it for yourself.
It's like hearing the real thing - for the first time.
I am hearing things that I never heard with speakers or other headphones.
That's the only way I can explain it.
My professional conclusion:
(electrostatic) It has clarity that nothing else can even approach.