Best Laptop for a new programming student (In a budget of $700 - $1,000)

Polarhannah

Estimable
Apr 28, 2014
I am a (very) new programming student and I am not sure what type of laptop to invest in. I have a budget of $700 to around $1,000 (If it is REALLY worth it I could max out around $1,200).

I know that my coursework will include basic programming languages, and will incorporate some database (SQL) and web development courses.

Preferences:
Weight: it doesn't need to be 2 lbs, but I don't want to feel like I am carrying a TV around.
Screen/ Laptop size: as large a screen as possible
Keyboard: I prefer some wiggle room, but can adjust to a small keyboard if I need to.

I have been looking at HP and Acer laptops, and MacBooks, but am not sure which route (Windows or Mac) to start on.

Any help, such as brand, OS, additional programs that would be beneficial, would be greatly appreciated!

Side note: other uses would include mail and basic business uses. This would not be used for gaming.

Solution
For OS I would consider Windows 7 home premium because 99% (speculation) of all programs ever made are .exe files. If you are not doing gaming on the side any laptop will do no matter what you pick. If you do plan on gaming I would search for gaming laptops under your price range (drop $100 from search because some people go slightly over budget). Word is beneficial. There are free programs out there for what you need I just haven't looked into them yet... Have a great day.

CTOAGN

Honorable
Dec 4, 2013
For OS I would consider Windows 7 home premium because 99% (speculation) of all programs ever made are .exe files. If you are not doing gaming on the side any laptop will do no matter what you pick. If you do plan on gaming I would search for gaming laptops under your price range (drop $100 from search because some people go slightly over budget). Word is beneficial. There are free programs out there for what you need I just haven't looked into them yet... Have a great day.

Solution