Best Laptop for CS masters

Nick19

Honorable
Dec 8, 2012
Hello everyone, So college is starting in 4 months and I'm getting ready to purchase a new laptop for my masters in cs. I want this laptop to be very powerful with good cpu good gpu a fast hd or ssd ect. One of my largest things is I want a laptop that ill be able to use throughout the day for notes and papers ect. I don't want this laptop to be to heavy because ill be lugging it around all day. Battery life doesn't have to be tremendous because ill probably have time between classes to sneak a charge in. I dont want this laptop to have loud and annoying fans that will distract not only me but my fellow classmates. Thanks in advance, Nick

1) What is your budget?
Probably about $2,500 could go a little more.
2) What size notebook would you prefer?
d. Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen
3) Where will you buying this notebook? You can select the flag of your country as an indicator.
Probably online, could purchase in stores
4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
a. Like:
b. Dislike:
5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?
No, want a new laptop
6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
coding and compiling for class, notes, papers, possibly a little gaming
7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?
Both, taking it to class daily but at night may place it on my desk.
8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? If so, please state which games or types of games?
possibly H1Z1 or Minecraft
9) How many hours of battery life do you need?
Three plus would be best
10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?
I would do research and buying online would be fine.
11) What OS do you prefer? Windows (Windows 7 / 8), Mac OS, Linux, etc.
I've been using Windows all my life but im a fast learner so I could learn most other OS'.
Screen Specifics
12) From the choices below, what screen resolution(s) would you prefer? Keep in mind screen size in conjunction with resolution will play a large role in overall viewing comfort level. Everyone is different. Some like really small text, while others like their text big and easy to read. Click here for Screen resolution information.
I would enjoy 4k or 3k but thats probably not gonna happen so the highest the better
13) Do you want a Glossy/reflective screen or a Matte/non-glossy screen?
doesnt matter
Build Quality and Design
14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?
Not a large factor
15) When are you buying this laptop?
In the next month or two
16) How long do you want this laptop to last?
hopefully at least 2 years. 4 if i can keep good care of it.
Notebook Components
17) How much hard drive space do you need? Do you want a SSD drive?
I would like about 1tb a 500gb ssd would be nice too.
18) Do you need an optical drive? If yes, a DVD Burner, Blu-ray Reader or Blu-Ray Burner?
I would like space for that just in case i need to insert a disk for a class but i could always buy and external usb od.

I've recently been looking at the lenovo x1 third gen and the dell m3800. I've heard the m3800 has some problems with annoying sounds and i feel as if you max out the x1 its a little over priced.

Thank you again for spending your time to read this and help me out. Have a nice day.

Nick

Solution
These laptops from the list may suit your needs. They're gaming laptop, but can be use for work too.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Notebookcheck-s-Top-10-Lightweight-Gaming-Notebooks.126456.0.html

or a Workstation laptop maybe more optimize toward work like rendering than gaming.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Notebookcheck-s-Top-10-Workstation-Notebooks.65537.0.html

Laptops with GTX 960m are just a rebranded GTX 860m, if you find a laptop cheaper than one with a GTX 960m. I think both the GTX 860m(Maxwell version) and 960m support DirectX 12 in Windows 10, or that 860m only support some features. Also be careful to not get a laptop with NVIDIA Optimus. I might be for you and it may not, but it's suppose to give better battery life by...

Xumarice

Estimable
May 20, 2015
These laptops from the list may suit your needs. They're gaming laptop, but can be use for work too.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Notebookcheck-s-Top-10-Lightweight-Gaming-Notebooks.126456.0.html

or a Workstation laptop maybe more optimize toward work like rendering than gaming.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Notebookcheck-s-Top-10-Workstation-Notebooks.65537.0.html

Laptops with GTX 960m are just a rebranded GTX 860m, if you find a laptop cheaper than one with a GTX 960m. I think both the GTX 860m(Maxwell version) and 960m support DirectX 12 in Windows 10, or that 860m only support some features. Also be careful to not get a laptop with NVIDIA Optimus. I might be for you and it may not, but it's suppose to give better battery life by turning off the dedicated graphics card and use the integrated graphics for less demanding programs and games. Some programs don't know about NVIDIA Optimus and may only see the integrated graphics. Use the NVIDIA control panel to set programs to use the integrated graphic or NVIDIA card, yet that still may not work. AMD has something similar to Optimus called Enduro (I think Enduro can be disabled in bios unlike Optimus. I may be wrong.).

The Lenovo workstation ThinkPad W550s may work for you, optimized for 3D work (I'm guessing that's what you're doing) and similar to game performance of a GeForce 840m, which meets minimum requirements of the games you play.

http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/thinkpad/w-series/w550s/

Solution