Best laptop for this task

Crixus

Commendable
Oct 28, 2016
I need a laptop that will able to handle graphic design programs and also programs for an architect. Dont worry about the budget

Solution
As he owner of a consulting engineering firm, we have the same needs as an Architect would. I would suggest having your laptops built to your specifications. Unfortunately many of the usual goals are mutually exclusive ... such as long battery life and great performance. The more of one you have, the less of the other. Also be aware that just about every single brand laptop you ever heard of does not actually make a laptop. HP, Lenovo, Apple, Acer, Toshiba, Dell, Sony, Fujitsu, Compaq, Asus, NEC, etc.... nope, not a laptop **manufacturer** among them; they are all purchased from ODMs, many on the same production lines and just have the above names slapped on them. MSI is probably the only name with hwich most are familiar.

We...
So then you want something with an i7 HQ version processor and at least a 1060 GPU in it (the CUDA cores found in NVIDIA GPU's provide addtional processing power for adobe, cad, and other deisgn software).

What are the rest of your needs/priorities?
Size, Weight, battery life, screen resolution, touchscreen, ports?

Crixus

Commendable
Oct 28, 2016

a touchscreen. the others dont matter

Can you at least narrow it down by screen size.
Large heavy 17", medium 15", or "ultra-portable" 14-13"

As he owner of a consulting engineering firm, we have the same needs as an Architect would. I would suggest having your laptops built to your specifications. Unfortunately many of the usual goals are mutually exclusive ... such as long battery life and great performance. The more of one you have, the less of the other. Also be aware that just about every single brand laptop you ever heard of does not actually make a laptop. HP, Lenovo, Apple, Acer, Toshiba, Dell, Sony, Fujitsu, Compaq, Asus, NEC, etc.... nope, not a laptop **manufacturer** among them; they are all purchased from ODMs, many on the same production lines and just have the above names slapped on them. MSI is probably the only name with hwich most are familiar.

We buy all of our lappies, custom built to our specifications. It also results in longer warrantees, better cooling design, lower pricing and and much beefier than usual cooling systems. Since you will be using architectural design programs, 17" is the only option as anything smaller would put a big gimp on productivity

We use 17" 1080p laptops for our AutoCAD users in the field. Our current design includes.

https://lpc-digital.com/product/sager-np8173-special-clevo-p670rs/
17.3” Full HD (1920 x 1080) Clear LG IPS MATTE G-SYNC™ Technology
Guaranteed no dead or partially-lit pixels for first 30 days
Screen Calibration
6th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-6700HQ (6M Cache, up to 3.50 GHz)
NVIDIA® GeForce™ GTX 1070 GPU with 8GB GDDR5 NVIDIA PASCAL™
16GB Dual Channel DDR4 2400MHz (PC4 19200) (2 x 8GB) - SPECIAL!
Standard Thermal Compound
Windows® 10 Home 64-Bit Edition Preinstalled, (without Recovery Media)
No Branding
SanDisk X400 256GB M.2 SSD - Primary C Drive - SPECIAL!
1 TB HGST 7200 RPM SATA 6Gb/s Hard Drive
Intel® Dual Band Ultra -AC 8260 M.2 AC + Bluetooth 4.2 Combo Card
LIFETIME Limited Labor and 2 Years Premium Parts Warranty
FREE UPS Ground (CONUS Only)
Cash Price: $1,745.03 (Pay by Business Check, same as Cash)

We make two changes to the above when buying our own units that have no impact on price

Windows® 10 Pro 64-Bit Edition Preinstalled, (without Recovery Media) = +$50
No Primary Hard Drive/SSD (NOTE: Only available if M.2 SSD Selected) = -$50

We install 1 or 2 TB SSHDs ourselves as an alternative to the 1 GB HD.

EDIT: With 25 years on AutoCAD, I have to say that I would not welcome a touchscreen, especially not on a lappy. I do see desktop CAD operators using an IPad with "Duet Display" in the way a digitizer was once used.

Solution