Best Large TV For Gaming?

Status
Not open for further replies.

killerzuchini

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2009
I'm looking at getting a larger (40+") TV soon, but it's main purpose would be gaming. All the TVs I've looked at are around 1 grand, or slightly less, and that is my right around my price range. However, I'm finding it difficult to find an updated pros and cons list between LCD, DLP, and Plasma. I don't want a DLP, as I would be wall mounting the TV, so that is out of the question. I can find a 50" Samsung plasma for around a grand, and it looks great, but do plasmas still suffer from burn in? Do they still lose their color? Those are the answers I'm looking for. Input would be great. Thanks!

Solution

Yes, most plasma TVs have a "games" screen setting which reduces the brightness plus if the image is static for too long, it will kick in...

fazers_on_stun

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2006

Yes, most plasma TVs have a "games" screen setting which reduces the brightness plus if the image is static for too long, it will kick in the screen saver or else move the image around to avoid burn-in. The severity of the problem has been greatly reduced with modern plasma TV's but it still exists.

Since your main purpose is gaming, I'd get a fairly cheap LCD TV like a Vizio, since you can generally get a larger screen size for the same amount of money. It'll be lighter and easier to mount on the wall than a plasma, it'll probably be brighter in case you have a window in the room, and it uses less electricity and generates less heat (good during summer, not so good during winter :)). It's only when you are into cinema that you need really high contrast ratios like on plasmas or top-tier LCDs for those thousands of shades of black.

However I would also recommend 120Hz refresh or higher since otherwise you might notice motion blur in some FPS games. This option is much more common nowadays than when Sony (IIRC) introduced it some years ago for their LCD TV's, in order to compete with plasma.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.